Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air filtration

Jeff,
    My shop is the same size and even with an Oneida cyclone, the fine stuff is always there. Do you hand THE BEAST from the ceiling?
    Ed

I bought the Jet AFS 1000B a few days ago, it arrived today and I hung it from my garage ceiling via some S hooks and eye bolts. I hung it myself.

For those of you who desire to hang it alone:

I had a 15 foot length of chain for my old dog's lead (its rated for 125 pounds, don't worry). I ran it diagonally through two of the eyebolts on the Jet and then hooked it to the S hooks on the ceiling. I then stood on my ladder and walked it up a few links at a time on each side until it was in position to mount. Easy Peezy, didn't even break a sweat.

I have a Dylos particulate meter. It was reading 1800'sh pm2.5 when I was finished hanging it. I closed the garage door and ran it on high for 30 minutes. I came back into the garage and my Dylos was reading 75 pm2.5. I realize it won't keep up with active dust production, and I have a CV1800 for fines at the source. It does a great job of keeping the fines from building up and hanging out in the garage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    best price I see for the Jet is $359 correct? Thanks Brian
    Just this last December I bought the JET 1000B for $299 on sale at Rockler

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ionta View Post
    My 14' x 22' x 9' shop has a Wen 3415 3-speed filtration unit (556, 702, 1044 CFM) with 1 micron inner filter. According to my Dylos particle meter it does a good job of reducing the air-borne particles. My Clearvue 5 hp dust extractor does a better job if I just let it run for 5 to 10 minutes with a couple of blast gates open but the Wen unit is quieter.

Incidentally, does anyone know if a standard 12" x 24" x 1" furnace filter will fit into the Wen or Jet 1000 CFM system (as the external filter)? Wen sells a filter that they claim will fit "most 1044 CFM systems" but standard Merv 8 filters are quite a bit cheaper.
    Yes they will fit. I use one of the Filtrete “odor eater” filters with activated charcoal and it helps keep the shop smelling fresh.

Did anyone in this thread check out the Powermatic 1250 as an alternative? There aren't specific specs but it mentions filtering down to 0.1 micron. The Jet 1000 gets 85% of ~1 micron.

Both are on sale. This is a long term purchase so I don't care about $350 vs $630 if its qualitatively better.

I've got the Jet system hanging from the ceiling in a 12'x28' basement shop. It clears the air quickly and is probably overkill for the space I have. The 12x24x1 filters can be bought a Home Depot a lot cheaper than through Jet. About once a month, I'll take both filters outside and blow them out with compressed air. I'll blow out the shopvac filter at the same time.

I'm looking forward to the day I get a central vacuum system.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    Did anyone in this thread check out the Powermatic 1250 as an alternative? There aren't specific specs but it mentions filtering down to 0.1 micron. The Jet 1000 gets 85% of ~1 micron.

Both are on sale. This is a long term purchase so I don't care about $350 vs $630 if its qualitatively better.
    I have the Jet and my Dylos particle meter indicates it filters small and large particles down to less than 10 so I think it’s a good choice. I have the original 3 pocket interior filter and use the washable, reusable electrostatic outer filters from Jet.

I recently discovered the 12 x 24 filters from Filtrete with activated charcoal filter just about as well.

I have an 18x28 shop with a ceiling that slopes up from 10' to 12'. Any advice on where I should hang one of these? I have a couple ceiling plugs available. Mostly wondering if I should drop it down a few feet.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I have an 18x28 shop with a ceiling that slopes up from 10' to 12'. Any advice on where I should hang one of these? I have a couple ceiling plugs available. Mostly wondering if I should drop it down a few feet.
    Hang it facing your "dustiest" machine, low enough so that you don't bump your head on it (that's the air that you breathe.) Usually that's _not_ in the exact center of the room. You want to set up a circular flow.