Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air filtration

air filtration

I have a nice JDS dust collector for larger stuff, but need to add air filtration to my shop. 504 CFM based on my calculations. I was looking at the Grizzly ( I have one of the jointers) or the Wen brand. Looking for your feedback on quality filters etc...

Thanks.

Brian

I have the Grizzly air filter hanging from my shop ceiling. It works very well. I have had it since 2008. Once a year I take out the large bag filter and wash it. I helped a friend hang one of the Wen filter boxes to the ceiling of his shop last year and it works well for him.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I have a nice JDS dust collector for larger stuff, but need to add air filtration to my shop. 504 CFM based on my calculations. I was looking at the Grizzly ( I have one of the jointers) or the Wen brand. Looking for your feedback on quality filters etc...
    The Wen at top speed seems to be equivalent to the Jet at lowest speed, re air flow specs. I have the Jet, (currently on sale,) and sometimes I do actually use the higher speeds (when I want to clear the room air quickly.) As far as the filters themselves, dunno, but the Wen is unlikely to be better than the Jet. Not familiar with the Grizzly. The Jet is a really good product at a reasonable price, especially now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The Wen at top speed seems to be equivalent to the Jet at lowest speed, re air flow specs. I have the Jet, (currently on sale,) and sometimes I do actually use the higher speeds (when I want to clear the room air quickly.) As far as the filters themselves, dunno, but the Wen is unlikely to be better than the Jet. Not familiar with the Grizzly. The Jet is a really good product at a reasonable price, especially now.
    best price I see for the Jet is $359 correct? Thanks Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    best price I see for the Jet is $359 correct? Thanks Brian
    Yeah, regularly US$399, now 10% off gets you to 359. Irrestistable gloat, I got mine for $270 on amazon a few years ago, by adding it to the cart and "watching and waiting". I doubt you'd see that deal again, except used. I'm delighted with the machine.

I've used a JDS air cleaner since the 1990's and it works great! The newer ones have more than one speed but I never found the need to use it at a lower speed. The newer ones may be a little quieter also, but this older one never was loud anyway. I plug mine into an outlet to which I wired a timer, but the newer air cleaners have timers built in.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I've used a JDS air cleaner since the 1990's and it works great! The newer ones have more than one speed but I never found the need to use it at a lower speed. The newer ones may be a little quieter also, but this older one never was loud anyway. I plug mine into an outlet to which I wired a timer, but the newer air cleaners have timers built in.

Ithink JDS is out of business now. thanks brian

Blog Entries
    I have the Rockler DustRite, works well, but no longer available.
    NOW you tell me...

I have the grizzly I got it on some supersale 4 years ago. Just replaced the filters again they work with the Wen. Pretty much same unit. I have the 400 cfm unit

Quality is good but they are simple items I dont think you are going to find a major advantage to one over the other. Except if you hate green

One thing to know about the Jet AFS-1000B unit is that the circuit boards have a history of failing. My AFS-1000B lasted 4-5 years before the circuit board burned out. It was obvious where the board had burned through. Cost around $100 to get a replacement board. Hopefully the replacement lasts longer than the original. If I had to do it over I would get a air filtration system from another manufacturer.

This is what I have hanging in my shop: Grizzly G9956 - Heavy-Duty Double Air Filter with Remote Control
    Works great in my 24'x36' space.

g9956-7ae6dced75801903a5c05421351e07f1.jpg

My 14' x 22' x 9' shop has a Wen 3415 3-speed filtration unit (556, 702, 1044 CFM) with 1 micron inner filter. According to my Dylos particle meter it does a good job of reducing the air-borne particles. My Clearvue 5 hp dust extractor does a better job if I just let it run for 5 to 10 minutes with a couple of blast gates open but the Wen unit is quieter.

Incidentally, does anyone know if a standard 12" x 24" x 1" furnace filter will fit into the Wen or Jet 1000 CFM system (as the external filter)? Wen sells a filter that they claim will fit "most 1044 CFM systems" but standard Merv 8 filters are quite a bit cheaper.

I went with the jet and it is in should help. thanks all. brian

I have the Jet 2000 in my 20 x 40 shop. It's a beast, but does a great job. I wish there was a way for it to default to a certain time when turning it on, instead of always having to cycle through the speed and time delays. I generally always run it high speed for 4 hours.

I have the Jet for 10+ years with no problems. My shop is 15 x 35 and it clears the air quickly.

I recently bought an air quality monitor and can watch the Dust of all sizes go down. I purchased it in eBay.

s-l1600 (3).jpg