Thread: What size vacuum pump do I need

What size vacuum pump do I need

Hi am new to lathe vacuum pump setup for a Laguna Revo 1836 lathe. I have looked at a 71litre/minute 2 stage pump but not sure if this has enough volume for a vacuum chuck.

That's around 2.5CFM, that would be the minimum I would go with. The more volume you have, in the vacuum, the more it can deal with leaks and porous wood.

My cheap $49 (Amazon) pump pulls 3.5CFM (99LM) and that worked fine.

I would guess the larger the chuck contact area, the more room there is for leaks, so extra CFM can help.

I'll be setting up my 24-36 in the next week or so, it's sitting here in a box, so I'll be setting the vacuum chuck up on that.

Hey are there any more pumps at that price? We live in Murfreesboro so we don't live too far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Don R Davis View Post
    Hey are there any more pumps at that price? We live in Murfreesboro so we don't live too far apart.
    This was the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXMRP4I/ref=dp_cerb_1

It's an oil model and does puke a bit of (mineral?) oil mist from the pump exhaust, but I just lay a piece of kitchen towel over this and it absorbs it.

This is my setup with vacuum gauge and bleed valve.

I also just bought a reconditioned Gast pump off eBay for $51. This is an oiless pump and pulls about 3CFM. I haven't had chance to try it yet.

Thank you Chris. When you try it out please let us know your opinion. "Good or Bad"

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That's around 2.5CFM, that would be the minimum I would go with. The more volume you have, in the vacuum, the more it can deal with leaks and porous wood.

My cheap $49 (Amazon) pump pulls 3.5CFM (99LM) and that worked fine.

I would guess the larger the chuck contact area, the more room there is for leaks, so extra CFM can help.

I'll be setting up my 24-36 in the next week or so, it's sitting here in a box, so I'll be setting the vacuum chuck up on that.
    I guess you are talking about leaks in the lines? Leaks at the work piece make the whole system useless (including porous wood). I bought the smallest pump I could find. There is very little air volume needed for a couple feet of house and the chuck itself.