Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

20 Jan 2020

Greetings,
    I took a break this week from shop activities since the dining table project is finished and delivered to a happy customer. I came away from the customer's home with 3 more projects to do for them and the good thing is.....these 3 projects are a LOT smaller than the table. Thank Goodness!!!
    Back to the day job and I go back oncall duty in less than 12 hours from now. Not looking forward to that, but it is still paying the bills.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, it's really wonderful when good work brings in more good work. Repeat customers and their referrals are worth their weight in gold!

I had a somewhat quiet week from a shop standpoint. I did complete a couple of novelty signs that are going to some friend (thread in the signmaking area) and did a little more work on a product I'm evaluating for a vendor. Otherwise, some family things intervene over several days. This week, I have some quotes to produce and a little cleanup before I have to once again head to sunny Florida to take care of some things relative to my 89 yo kid/mom. My older daughter is coming with me to give Professor Dr. SWMBO a break so some fun will also hopefully ensue during that travel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi All,

Dennis, great job on the table and securing follow-up orders! Jim, love the signs.

I finished the drawer bank for under my bench (pics in another thread). I'm happy with how it came out. I did some shop rearranging and rotated my bench 180 degrees before installing the drawers and I think I ended up with a more efficient layout. Time will tell. Since I was moving stuff around, I took the time to unload all the shelves along the last unpainted wall of my shop, pulled out the shelves, added casters to them, and prepped and painted the wall. Then moved everything back. I moved the obvious tools into the drawer bank, but have several empty drawers where I can move additional tools as I find I need them (or acquire them!). I did discover that I had forgotten to go back and install more screws in all the drawer slides, having only installed two in each for initial alignment, so I have to realign a couple drawers and install the remaining screws.

While I was in a cleaning/organizing mood I installed two purchased circular saw blade racks, cleaned all my blades and loaded up the racks. I probably should have just built a simple rack but saw some nice, cheap, racks on amazon while surfing for ideas and took the easy way out. I tucked them into a little used corner where they will be handy but out of the way.

Meanwhile have been plugging away on design for new router table. Design is pretty much done, just finalizing the drawings. Then I need to pick up some BB plywood to get started on the build.

We had our first significant snow of the winter; really late for us. About 5 inches of wet, heavy slop, followed by most of a day of sleet/rain mix. It was really pleasant slush-blowing that off the driveway. That's it for me.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

We are back in Perth after 4 weeks travelling around Germany and Austria. Re-climatized over a few days in Singapore. I missed my workshop, but saw some really interesting museums.

The third part of my tour of the Pinakothek der Moderne is here ...

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....26#post2984626

My first thread was moved. I am not sure why - it was intended to inspire. Design is design and it does not matter where inspiration starts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

After almost two years, tools are beginning to be unpacked and setup. Setup and tuned my bandsaw this weekend, I forgot how much of a pain it is to get the belt tightened and the pulleys co-planar. Also got everything that I believe I can salvage after pack rat damage cleaned and repaired. I spent Saturday mostly cleaning rat urine and feces from tools and Sunday repairing them (replacing cables etc). The storage area they've infested is mostly empty now, just a shop cabinet they've set up.. well.. shop in is left. That's filled with (I think) only dust collection hoses and gates. I just need to figure out how to get the whole thing out and onto the trash trailer at once, without engaging the occupants. They're pretty destructive. After a long time of working in a less-than-ideally setup extremely small space, it's nice finally starting to have things go together. Still lots of work to go. At least the weather's good.

I got out my router and noticed that one of the screws was missing out of the base. I found a replacement and put some blue Loctite on them so they wouldn't fall out again. Today I went to the shop and got out the router. I had cracks going outward from two of the three screws. After some research I discovered that loctite interacts with acrylic/plexiglass. That lesson cost me $18.99 for a new router plate from Eagle America

I finally bought some cool blocks and replaced the crappy steel guide pins in my bandsaw. I now am starting to understand why people love a well set up bandsaw. One of my blades is a bit messed up (tooth side seems to have stretched and the back hasn't) but the other one is in decent condition. It now cuts good enough I used to to taper some table legs instead of building a taper jig for my table saw. Two light passes on the jointer and they were perfect.

Aside from that, I fit all the mortise and tenons for those legs, glued up 3 shelves for these tables, and I'm not ready to start sanding and assembling these tables.

Up next is building the wooden riser block for the bandsaw so I can buy replacement blades and not have to replace them when I need to up my resaw a little. I think blades that aren't..... over a decade old will really make a difference.

Hi Dennis, it sounds like your customer really likes your work, well done.

I'm part way through making a pine storage cabinet for the upstairs bathroom. This is to go over the toilet.

The basic cabinet is built, the door panels are book matched and glued, and I made the rails and stiles for the doors. Of course I dropped one on the floor, chipped a chunk out of it and now have to setup the shaper to make one more rail

(Yes, I know the shop still needs more cleanup )....................Regards, Rod.

Bare Cabinet.jpgDoor Panel.jpgGrooving.jpg

Over the long weekend I made some progress on the Stickley-ish armchair I'm building. I made most of the stretchers, and the rails for the back, to rough dimension and made up a new bending strap to steam bend a curve into the back rails. I'll do the steam bending outside on a day when the subfreezing winds aren't howling. The rear legs are roughly cut out and mortised; I have some pattern routing to do to get them down to final dimension. The front legs are ready to be mortised.

My workshop is still overrun with pine scraps from the bed project I finished up right at the end of the year. I'm also in need of some basic boxes to store everything from workshop tooling to Christmas decorations, so it'll work out. I made a box to hold a half dozen Sorby turning tools as I upgrade one by one from the Craftsman starter set I've been using on those infrequent occasions that I work on my lathe. The box is not really the ideal way to set the tools out for using them, compared to the lazy Susan that I had previously made for the others, but at least they aren't rolling around looking for an excuse to dive for the floor.
    Chuck Taylor