Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Couple of Interesting Novelty Signs

Roger's a good dude and knows his stuff when it comes to dimensional signs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just stumbled across this forum and those look great Jim. Is the HDU an acceptable outside sign material? I'm thinking of making a sign post and sign callining out our street number for out by the road. Looking for good durable choices.

Ron, for personal use, see if you can get off-cuts from signmakers...their scrap. I brought a mid-sized SUV cargo area's worth (all seats down) home for $100 while traveling awhile ago from a 'Creeker who's "in the business". I can buy it from my sheet goods supplier and some other sources, but full sheets are pretty expensive. Getting someone elses off-cuts/scrap, free or for a few shekels keeps it out of the landfill and lets you work with some pretty nice kinds of material. I do the same for Corian. I'm authorised to buy it for "non kitchen/residential" manufacturing, but full sheets are enormously expensive. So when I can find off-cuts, I grab them. I just got a very heavy box of .25" off-cuts from Mark Bolton, as a matter of fact.

I've used both HDU and Corian/Solid-surface for small house signs.

Corian:

HDU

--

Finding someone who has usable waste pieces will be the challenge. I will try to do a search for Corian countertop installers and see if I can locate someone who can fix me up.

I was surprised a how much HDU waste/off-cut was just sitting around in that sign shop's shop...they apparently didn't do a lot of small stuff that would allow them to leverage that scrap. For Corian...you can often get sink cutouts which are a great size for all kinds of personal projects. There are places, like that auction site, and some others that sell smaller pieces to hobbyists, but from a cost perspective, looking for scrap/waste is a far better solution. Tear-outs are another source for solid surface when a kitchen is getting redone. That could mean "dumpster diving", but get permission first, of course.
    --