Quote Originally Posted by Gene Pavlovsky View Post
Andrey, your bench looks neat. No face vise or crochet, though? How do you clamp long stock for planing the edges?
Yeah, these rules of thumbs that rely on body parts are only suitable for people of average proportions. I have monkey arms, for example (good for rock climbing, not too good for pull-ups).
--Gene
It is more like English workbench in this regard, no vise yet. I can clamp a board to wide apron. Apron is 15 cm tall and worktop is 5.4 cm thick. So, there is plenty of place to clamp to it underneath.

DSC_0041a.jpg

But I usually do not plane edges like that. I prefer to shoot them, with the plane on its side (might not work for some wooden planes though).

DSC_0766a.jpg

That means that my workbench is very flat (used that #7 to flatten it) to use like that. And I also use workbench to check boards for flatness. That means that it is good when it is slightly bigger than the biggest piece I try to plane. Much faster to use flat workbench to check for twist than winding sticks (which I don't have), for example.

I wanted to add leg vise to it but it didn't happen yet and it works for me even without it.