Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 22116 Tilt/Bevel Adjustment Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Yes, all you are going to do is loosen the nut at the front and then rotate the nut at the back which will move the worm.

I would suggest turning the back nut counter clockwise as you look at it from where this photo was taken.
    Thanks Lee - so with the front nut, which direction loosens the nut? I was just out in the garage taking a crack at it, and I can't quite seem to get it loose. Not that it won't turn, just that either direction doesn't seem to be the right one to loosen. First time with eccentric nuts though, so maybe there's a trick to it? I went at it counterclockwise (from the perspective as seen below) and nothing really seemed to be happening. Other direction yielded similar results. The nut spins a bit, but never really seems to loosen to the point where it would be, say, "finger loose". Have the tilt wheel locked down and as close to 0 degrees tilt as possible.

IMG_8329 edited.jpg

Blog Entries
    I suspect you may want to loosen the hand wheel lock down so you aren't fighting the lock as you try to rotate the shaft and that you are going to need to rotate the eccentric half at least 1/2 turn. The nut is probably a regular right hand thread, righty tighty- lefty loosey.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I suspect you may want to loosen the hand wheel lock down so you aren't fighting the lock as you try to rotate the shaft and that you are going to need to rotate the eccentric half at least 1/2 turn. The nut is probably a regular right hand thread, righty tighty- lefty loosey.
    Got it Lee, thanks and will do. I assumed the old righty tighty lefty loosey too but I wasn't getting far with it. I was also working with a subpar adjustable wrench because I didn't have a standard wrench the correct size. Just ran out to hardware store for a 7/8" so looking forward to getting back under there tonight!

So managed to get it almost centered...took it for a few spins and it still had a pretty hard sticking point. After I played around with the tilt wheel a little, I took a picture and the worm gear had slid back out of alignment. I took a video too - it seems like the shaft itself might be bent?? I can see some sort of wobble/rotation as I turn the wheel. I tried to capture as best I could...

Not really sure where to go from here - would appreciate any advice ya'll might have.

IMG_8338.jpgIMG_8342.jpg

*Can't figure out how to get the video uploaded. I tried a Vimeo link but it doesn't show up after I insert the hyperlink. I really think the video would help with diagnosing the problem so open to suggestions. Also for some reason the pictures are rotated 45 degrees to the left when they don't appear that way in the folder on my laptop?*
    Last edited by Tim Fisher; 01-23-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    I looked at a couple of replacement parts sites and none seem to have that shaft. You might be able to remove it and take it to a machine shop and see if they can straighten it. I would not attempt to straighten it in place. Have you tried lubricating the worm and bearing points to to reduce the friction?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No I haven’t lubricated anything but will try that this weekend. Could you possibly give me a little direction in uploading videos? I’d really like for you to take a peek at the video as I think it helps clarify things...if this is just a small problem I have to live with, then so be it. It only “catches” for maybe a third or less of the rotation of the handwheel. And I doubt I’ll be using the tilt adjustment an extraordinary amount...

At this point I’m trying to determine how far down the rabbit hole I go in repairing this issue. I’m also itching to get the saw up and running. But if I AM going to fix it, would rather do it now while it’s disassembled.

Blog Entries
    I can't help you with uploading videos. Maybe post your question on the tech support board.

I don't know how hard it would be to remove the shaft from the saw, but a decent machine shop with an arbor press could probably straighten the shaft. Just don't beat on it in place on the saw as you are likely to break a casting. A more detailed search of replacement part sites might produce a replacement shaft.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Can't thank you enough for all your help Lee. I'll scour the internet to see what I can find for replacement part, and find a few local machine shops to call. I'll also ask tech support about the video as I'd still like you to take a gander at that...

What are generally considered the most reputable replacement part sites?

Tim ,pretty sure IF that shaft is bent,that it will be very easy to have it straightened on any hydraulic press. Pull it out and take it to a machine shop before you order parts.Wish you were down the street,I would bring some tools over and help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Tim ,pretty sure IF that shaft is bent,that it will be very easy to have it straightened on any hydraulic press. Pull it out and take it to a machine shop before you order parts.Wish you were down the street,I would bring some tools over and help you out.
    Guys - thanks so much for the help! Busy weekend but got the garage all cleaned up and now I'm just ready to get the saw working!

I've reuploaded my video to YouTube and hopefully we can all now see what I'm talking about.

When it comes to removing the shaft - how exactly would I go about doing that? It's not 100% clear from the schematic and the last thing I want to do is muck something up. But I've got a bead on a local machine shop so if the shaft removal is relatively easy, hoping I can get it removed and straightened this week.

Let me know if ya'll can see the below video too please!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Fisher View Post
    Guys - thanks so much for the help! Busy weekend but got the garage all cleaned up and now I'm just ready to get the saw working!

I've reuploaded my video to YouTube and hopefully we can all now see what I'm talking about.

When it comes to removing the shaft - how exactly would I go about doing that? It's not 100% clear from the schematic and the last thing I want to do is muck something up. But I've got a bead on a local machine shop so if the shaft removal is relatively easy, hoping I can get it removed and straightened this week.

Let me know if ya'll can see the below video too please!

You can clearly see in the video that the jam nut is rotating with the shaft. The eccentric is rotating with the shaft. That should not be happening. Did you forget to retighten the jam nut after you got the worm centered on the gear? What happens if you hold the rear nut on the eccentric with a wrench while you turn the hand wheel?

P.S. If you post your approximate location there may be a member of SMC nearby that could give you a hand working on your saw.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-27-2020 at 8:52 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

You can clearly see in the video that the jam nut is rotating with the shaft. The eccentric is rotating with the shaft. That should not be happening. Did you forget to retighten the jam nut after you got the worm centered on the gear? What happens if you hold the rear nut on the eccentric with a wrench while you turn the hand wheel?

P.S. If you post your approximate location there may be a member of SMC nearby that could give you a hand working on your saw.
    Thanks Lee. Had a work function until late last night and didn't get a chance to troubleshoot per your guidance. I will tonight though. Thought I tightened everything down but I'll go back through the motions and make sure all is tightened down securely, then try your troubleshooting suggestion re: holding nut while turning wheel.

Pardon the ignorance again, but what exactly is the "eccentric"? When I look at the schematic it looks like it's more than just a nut, like a small rod or something? The nut that I've been turning to align the gear, is that part of the eccentric? Google wasn't really helping me understand so thought I'd come right to the source.

I'm in Wendell, a suburb of Raleigh, NC. If there's anyone that's in the area that would want to swing by and give me a hand, that would be GREAT! Have plenty of beer/whiskey/pizza...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Fisher View Post
    Pardon the ignorance again, but what exactly is the "eccentric"? When I look at the schematic it looks like it's more than just a nut, like a small rod or something? The nut that I've been turning to align the gear, is that part of the eccentric? Google wasn't really helping me understand so thought I'd come right to the source.
    Here is what an eccentric similar to what you have in your saw looks like. Note that the through hole is off center to the tubular portion. Yours has threads on the small end so it can be locked in a certain orientation.
    eccentric.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Ok, so got around to realigning and retightening everything last night. Where I'm at now is - jam nut no longer rotates with hand wheel, but hand wheel is VERY difficult to turn, quite a bit of tension. Not sure if this is now related to trunnion bolts? Anyone near Raleigh, NC - I'd pay handsomely to have you come take a peek at this with me! Within reason of course

First video was prior to the realigning and retightening (not sure what that part was spinning), second video was after everything was aligned and tightened up.

Second video (only one allowed per post)