Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 22116 Tilt/Bevel Adjustment Issue

Craftsman 22116 Tilt/Bevel Adjustment Issue

Wasn’t exactly sure where to post this, so please let me know if this question should be directed elsewhere!

I’ll try and keep this short and sweet and leave it to those of you with a bit more knowledge to ask the pointed questions I don’t know to ask myself.
    Spent a lot of time growing up building things with my dad, just now getting to outfit my first garage (have one full side for workshop area). Decided I wanted to start out with a good compromise between full on cabinet saw and older used contractor, so I found an older used Craftsman 22116 in great shape – save for one small issue.

Older gentleman I bought it from disclosed up front that the tilt/bevel adjustment wheel was tight. He attributed it to tightening the trunnion bolts down too much when he had the top off to change arbor bearing. I asked him pointedly if he knew that’s what was wrong and if that was the only issue, and he said he was certain that was the only thing wrong and that I just needed to yank the top off and slightly adjust the bolts.

So I took the saw apart (which I actually enjoyed and found useful – good to know how everything works and is put together) and loosened the trunnion bolts. Loosened them too much though, and the trunnion slipped out of the bracket and gave me a bit of a scare. Managed to get the trunnion seated back in the brackets and the bolts tightened though and we’re all good now.

Anyway, so I’ve been examining the assembly for the tilt/bevel and I think it has something to do with the trunnion arm (not exactly sure what that part is called) not centering on the worm gear? I’ve done a bit of Googling and it seems this may be an issue that’s cropped up on the R4511s, the Ridgid brother to this saw (or so I’ve read).

So I’m not exactly sure where to go from here. Do I loosen bolts and try and maneuver entire assembly until the arm seats centered? I read somewhere about a small nut that may need to be adjusted to move the worm gear under the arm, as opposed to moving trunnion around to get arm centered. Maybe that’s the culprit?

This is my first time getting into the guts of a saw but I’m interested in learning and DIYing this fix if possible. I’ve attached some various pictures – please let me know what other information would be helpful, pictures, etc. Thanks!

vH3UwsZ.jpg

2H87Rpf.jpg

fFumGzU.jpg

CcZ0RNM.jpg

qK8jNB2.jpg

GPVVmVI.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-21-2020 at 5:59 PM.

Looking at first picture, lead screw isn't centered on gear. If memory serves me correct, the hex nut on shaft is an eccentric nut. Turning it should center the shaft.

Thank you! So how do I go about adjusting the nut? Support the weight of the assembly while simply turning the nut? I’ve never adjusted an eccentric nut before, honesty no idea what it entails.

Blog Entries
    Since this saw is new to you, I would suggest that you locate a copy of the owner/parts manual for your saw. There should be several sites where you can obtain the manual. You will need the model number off the nameplate.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee - I actually have the original manual. I referenced it for the tear down, and read it when I got the saw for tips concerning adjustments and troubleshooting, but it didn’t have anything specific to a sticking/hard-to-turn bevel wheel.

If there’s something specific you think I should look for in the manual, let me know! It unfortunately doesn’t mention anything about the eccentric screw though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Fisher View Post
    If there’s something specific you think I should look for in the manual, let me know! It unfortunately doesn’t mention anything about the eccentric screw though.
    It appears that the hex nut that shows up in your photos of the worm shaft may be an adjustment, can you post the complete model number of your saw so others can look at the parts explosion to determine if the centering of the worm shaft can be adjusted.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It appears that the hex nut that shows up in your photos of the worm shaft may be an adjustment, can you post the complete model number of your saw so others can look at the parts explosion to determine if the centering of the worm shaft can be adjusted.
    Sure thing!

Blog Entries
    According to the manual Item #26 is an eccentric on the tilt shaft. You should be able to rotate this eccentric to get the worm centered on the gear. You will need to loosen the nut (item 12) on the shaft on the other side of the casting in order to rotate the eccentric. The hex nut on the shaft closest to the spacer and worm gear should rotate as it is part of the eccentric. Once you get the worm centered. Hold the eccentric in position with a wrench and then tighten the jamb nut with another wrench.

Once you get it working better, lubricate the shaft where it enters the eccentric and nut with oil and lube the gear with johnson paste wax. Do the same on the raise lower shaft.

Let us know how you make out.

tilt.JPG
    Your images no longer show up so I can't verify everything at this point. You normally should upload photos directly to SMC so they remain available forever.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-20-2020 at 5:41 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Thanks Lee! Should all of the above be undertaken with trunnion brackets properly adjusted, bolts tightened, etc? Also - should I somehow be taking the force of the assembly's weight off the tilt shaft while I make the adjustments?

That's weird with the pictures. Before, when I viewed my own thread, all I saw in place of my pictures were the Imgur BBC links. So I inserted the direct links, and now I can see my pictures, but I can't for instance see your picture entitled "tilt.JPG"

When I click the hyperlink for your pic I get an Access Denied page.

What's the best method within the forum interface to upload pics, and which Imgur link should I use? I just defaulted to the BBC links because they mentioned "message boards and forums" beside that link style.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lee! Should all of the above be undertaken with trunnion brackets properly adjusted, bolts tightened, etc? Also - should I somehow be taking the force of the assembly's weight off the tilt shaft while I make the adjustments?

That's weird with the pictures. Before, when I viewed my own thread, all I saw in place of my pictures were the Imgur BBC links. So I inserted the direct links, and now I can see my pictures, but I can't for instance see your picture entitled "tilt.JPG"

When I click the hyperlink for your pic I get an Access Denied page. Only contributors can see photos that are uploaded on SMC. Photos linked to other sites may or may not be there tomorrow.

What's the best method within the forum interface to upload pics, and which Imgur link should I use? I just defaulted to the BBC links because they mentioned "message boards and forums" beside that link style. In the screen for posting messages you will see a small picture frame in the tool bar. Simply click on the picture frame, browse to find the photo file and click on upload
    There shouldn't be any weight on the worm. Just don't force things as you could break a casting.

Contributor status at SMC is a mere $6.00 per year and it lets you see all photos, send and get email or private messages to other contributors.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Thanks Lee - just contributed so I was able to see the schematic you posted. Perfect!

I'm now trying to edit my original post to upload my pictures, but my original post doesn't seem to have an "edit post" button anymore? Am I missing something?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lee - just contributed so I was able to see the schematic you posted. Perfect!

I'm now trying to edit my original post to upload my pictures, but my original post doesn't seem to have an "edit post" button anymore? Am I missing something?
    You can only edit your own posts within 24 hours of when they were started. For whatever reason your photos were back in your original post, so I uploaded them to the creek for you.

How did you make out with your saw?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-21-2020 at 6:00 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can only edit your own posts within 24 hours of when they were started. For whatever reason your photos were back in your original post, so I uploaded them to the creek for you.

How did you make out with your saw?
    Thanks Lee - here are the pics from my first post:

ZlHtCQ6.jpgSMUBh28.jpggINcInj.jpg78TbhOA.jpgFbRrBSs.jpgPpVqkRe.jpg

Concerning the saw, I haven't made the adjustment yet because I wanted to ask just a few more questions. I took a look at the schematic and the saw last night and THINK I have a good handle on what I need to do, but after the "oh sh*t" moment with the trunnion slipping out of the bracket I want to make sure I'm 10000% clear. This is my first time being in the guts of a saw so hesitant to cause any damage on my new-to-me first table saw.

Here are some pictures that showcase my questions and where I'm at in my understanding of this adjustment that needs to be made...

IMG_8325.jpgIMG_8323.jpg

Also - just to be certain, I don't need to worry about this interface between gear and worm shaft being a point of concern in terms of pressure/weight as I make the adjustment?

IMG_8273 edited.jpg

Blog Entries

Here are some pictures that showcase my questions and where I'm at in my understanding of this adjustment that needs to be made...

IMG_8325.jpgIMG_8323.jpg
    Yes, all you are going to do is loosen the nut at the front and then rotate the nut at the back which will move the worm. Watch as you rotate the back nut so the gear moves in the direction needed to center it.

Also - just to be certain, I don't need to worry about this interface between gear and worm shaft being a point of concern in terms of pressure/weight as I make the adjustment?

IMG_8273 edited.jpg

I would suggest turning the back nut counter clockwise as you look at it from where this photo was taken. The gear is being supported by the pivot up above so there should be little weight on the worm. Don't forget when you get the worm centered on the gear to hold the nut in the back while you securely tighten the nut in the front.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-22-2020 at 4:25 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!