Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small dining table - legs or pedestal

Since a 48" square table can only fit 1 chair on a side legs would not get in the way and make things simpler. Forgive me, but I think a smaller round 40"-42" would be more solid with a pedestal.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

I have just brought this table from my daughters. It is 42” diameter and the caster spread on the pedestal is 36”. The pedestal is very solid. The sliding mechanism is smooth and robust. At 42” it is very solid & stable. I plan on removing the top, which is a pretty piece of veneered plywood that has given up the ghost and do a solid oak top. I’d like to try a 46” top and a 12” leaf. Much obliged for any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unless you will need to use it without the leaf I'd suggest making the top full size. Far less work and a better result.

Seen a lot of broken pedestal legs. Perhaps it's because the idea of grace wins out over strength. But who wants a bowl
    of hot soup dumped into their lap ? I like a leg at each corner.

I know I started this thread a few months ago and the project got put on hold for various reasons. I have my wood now and it is spending a little acclimation time in my shop. I have decided to go with a "squarish" table design with generously rounded corners and a pedestal. The pedestal will be a traditional design with 4 legs extending away from a center column.

As I'm getting closer to the actual build process I have another question that came to mind. That is the orientation of the pedestal legs to the top. Most designs I see for square tops have the legs perpendicular to each side so they would be between a sitting person's legs. I was thinking the table might be more stable if the legs were diagonal pointing toward each corner because they could be made a little longer. And because of my confined area it seems that it might be easier for a person to get up and away from the table without hitting a leg with their foot. Is there any rule of thumb for which way the legs should be?

There are many ways to make pedestals. Pedestals can be made very strong, it all depends on the construction, so no need to shy away from them for strength concerns. Just choose the right construction and you wont ever have a bowl of hot soup dumped on your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Seen a lot of broken pedestal legs. Perhaps it's because the idea of grace wins out over strength. But who wants a bowl
    of hot soup dumped into their lap ? I like a leg at each corner.

No Rules. Whatever works best.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    I know I started this thread a few months ago and the project got put on hold for various reasons. I have my wood now and it is spending a little acclimation time in my shop. I have decided to go with a "squarish" table design with generously rounded corners and a pedestal. The pedestal will be a traditional design with 4 legs extending away from a center column.

As I'm getting closer to the actual build process I have another question that came to mind. That is the orientation of the pedestal legs to the top. Most designs I see for square tops have the legs perpendicular to each side so they would be between a sitting person's legs. I was thinking the table might be more stable if the legs were diagonal pointing toward each corner because they could be made a little longer. And because of my confined area it seems that it might be easier for a person to get up and away from the table without hitting a leg with their foot. Is there any rule of thumb for which way the legs should be?