Thread: Good grief...lost my mind

Good grief...lost my mind

Some time ago I posted about making a box and trying a high gloss polished finish. Turned out reasonably well, but there was one small area on the front (of course) where I burned through the finish. Maybe a 1/4” by 1”at the top edge. I let it sit for awhile, but every time I walked past it, it drove me nuts.

Decided to try to fix it. Cleaned the small area with Naptha, covered the rest of the front with newspaper and gave it a spray of lacquer. Pulling away the paper, it became obvious that there was going to be a line that needed to be sanded, so I figured why not just redo the entire box front...it’s only 4” by 8”. So gave the whole front a good spraying with lacquer. Then realized I hadn’t cleaned the rest of the front with Naptha...just sprayed over auto polish. I guess a few hours will tell what mess I have to deal with now. I really wasn’t planning on taking it all back down to bare wood.

I think I’ll just go shovel some more snow...don’t think I can mess that up.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-19-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Phil -- I appreciate your post. Often I feel that I am the only one who can make some of the bad mistakes I make. Given from your number of posts, you know a lot more about woodworking than I do, so it is always reassuring to know that mistakes are part of the hobby.

Glad to hear this series of unfortunate events didn't end in injury.

somewhere I read this, “I lost my mind”, I think the kids took it”, Charles