Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a toy?

Is this a toy?

My sister gave me this last week. I remember as a child it sat on a shelf with other small collectible items. Possibly belonged to my great grandpa as he as a carpenter/cabinet maker. I don't see any markings on it. I do remember a line of toys back in the 50's that i think were called Handy Andy but not sure this type item was in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a thumb plane. It's an actual tool.

Actually, it's too large to qualify as a thumb plane.

The photo is fuzzy, but it reminded me of the "Little Victor" replica LV makes. Comparing them I see the details are different, but the history in the product description might be interesting.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e-victor-plane

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

looks like an early stanley #101

"Size doesn't matter"...and yes, that appears to be a very usable tool. Miniature planes are pretty kewel...Lee Valley has a whole line of them of which I own a few. they can be very useful for a lot of interesting situations, too, even on larger projects. Clean that thing up, adjust it and sharpen the blade and you'll have a nice addition to your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, it's a real tool and one of those things is what got me into hand tools. Here's the long story, just for the fun of telling it.....

A few years ago, I bought a delta contractor saw from a guy that was closing his cabinet shop. About the only thing left for sale was a large box of woodworking magazines, which I bought for another $20. A couple weeks later, I was cataloguing those magazines and found one of those little planes in the bottom of that magazine box. I said "huh", threw it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Well, a couple years later I was repurposing a tool stand into a (not fancy) router table. I wanted some cheap, fast drawers so I screwed together 2 drawer boxes and simply glued a bottom on each. Turned out the bottoms were just a wee bit too wide to fit in their places. Somehow, I remembered I had that little itty bitty plane. I got it out and used it to quickly shave those bottoms to a "good enough" fit.

That was my first introduction to hand tools - that little "toy" plane let me do something easier and faster than my electric sander or other tools would have. (It required no set up, no jigs, etc.) So I began reading and asking lots of questions on our "Neanderthal" forum and learned that is often the case. Then I started buying and using hand tools and it's been a slippery slope ever since. I still have and use my tailed tools, but hand tools defintely have their place in my shop.

I am a hobbyist, so YMMV.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-19-2020 at 5:44 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’ve had a couple of those. I sold them. Nuff said.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I’ve had a couple of those. I sold them. Nuff said.
    I have a couple of different minis like this and I wouldn’t part with them, Nuff said.

Same.

I also have a couple minis. Baring the bronze #4 smother they are some of my favorite.

I tend. Use hand tos for fettling though and machines for the grunt work.

Blog Entries
    I have one of those and I use it frequently to break sharp corners just a bit. It is a pretty neat little tool. Like most planes it works much better with a properly sharpened iron. Mine came from a Handy Andy woodworking tool set my parents bought me when I was about 6 years old.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have one of those and I use it frequently to break sharp corners just a bit. It is a pretty neat little tool. Like most planes it works much better with a properly sharpened iron. Mine came from a Handy Andy woodworking tool set my parents bought me when I was about 6 years old.
    That was my first hand plane, I got it when I was 5 years old. I still have it. Do I still use it? Not for a while. My hands are bigger now. :^) Rose bud....

I’m just not grown up enough to let the Handy Andy thing go without st least a lol..

I know I’m juvenile..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I’m just not grown up enough to let the Handy Andy thing go without st least a lol..

I know I’m juvenile..
    I made a lot of stilts, box traps and birdhouses with my Handy Andy tools.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute