Thread: porter cable 4200 series custom template

porter cable 4200 series custom template

I've owned a PC 4200 series dovetail jig for several years, but was thinking about doing some custom work that doesn't fit the pattern for any one of the aluminum templates. It dawned on me that it probably wouldn't be that hard to cut a custom plate and repurpose a pair of the brackets that hold the plates to the frame.

I see this as potentially making the 4200 frame adaptable to almost anything handheld router. I suspect I am not the first to have thought of this, so any insights would be appreciated.

There being no hits, I am going to proceed on my own. I ordered "Template Bracket A05240" x 2 from ereplacementparts so I don't have to cannibalize my existing ones. They report they now have only one left, sorry 'bout that. I figure that at some thickness phenolic plastic will be strong enough to support a PC690 router, and I will create templates and cut them out on my router table.

Why would you use a hand held jig rather than a table... I dunno, but it seems for a lot of repetitive work the jig would be easier. I sprang for the Leigh vacuum thingy for the 4212 frame so the mess is considerably less. What I do think will be better is cutting dovetails and box joints on long boards. My router table likes things about 2'-3' long, after that I need rollers and support stuff. Resting on the top of the jig runs could be conceptually infinite, I'm only cutting the last inch or so...