Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How I fixed my piece of junk Delta lathe.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mountain City, TN
    Posts
    479

    How I fixed my piece of junk Delta lathe.

    Like many others, the Reeves drive failed on my Delta lathe.

    I got it spinning again replacing the spindle pulley with an aluminum step pulley. This required machining a custom step key because the slot ( on the inside diameter) of the pulley was a different width than the slot on the spindle shaft.
    I also mounted a step pulley on the motor.

    A plywood shelf is mounted to the ways.

    The motor is mounted on a piece of plywood which has bolt slots to adjust the belt tension.

    Yes, it's ugly and it's not a pleasure to use. But it will get me by for a few years before I haul it to the scrap pile.

    I think the two pulleys added up to 50 or 60 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    32
    Great solution I will try myself. In addition to my Powermatic 3520B, I also have a Delta Ironbed. I use the ironbed for certain dedicted turnings, and this is a great solution to the speed adjustment issues. Thanks for sharing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    1,412
    A used 3 phase motor and a Chinese VFD would also make a fairly cheap fix with electronic variable speeds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •