Thread: Turning funnels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Turning funnels

Today I was teaching my son how to use a bowl gouge on a piece of apple we cut down behind our house. Our small bowl turned into a funnel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It has happened to all of us. turn a round hole and fill with a disk if your son likes the bowl, or the wood has special meaning to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    It has happened to all of us. turn a round hole and fill with a disk if your son likes the bowl, or the wood has special meaning to him.
    Yes, and that will also make for another teachable moment: How a disheartening setback can be turned into a fine design opportunity.

What is really exciting is when this happens with a bowl that's being held in a vacuum chuck at high vacuum. After the "KAPOW!", there usually isn't much left of the piece to salvage. Or so I've heard. This of course has never happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bob p
    fohler;2984073
    Today I was teaching my son how to use a bowl gouge on a piece of apple we cut down behind our house. Our small bowl turned into a funnel.
    Wow, you're the first person in the history of woodturning to do that. Or not.

Now you can do what I saw a demonstrator do at TAW one year. Can't remember, it might have been Glen Lucas who went through the bottom then signed it Mike Mahoney.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Wow, you're the first person in the history of woodturning to do that. Or not.

Now you can do what I saw a demonstrator do at TAW one year. Can't remember, it might have been Glen Lucas who went through the bottom then signed it Mike Mahoney.

JKJ
    LOL. See you in Franklin later this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    LOL. See you in Franklin later this week?
    Unfortunately, I am unable to attend this year. I'm SO far behind on farm projects, clearing and burning brush, homework (remodeling), and equipment maintenance. I've seen all of this year's demonstrators several times but I'm REALLY gonna miss seeing all the real people!.

When I posted a similar photo on Reddit I was told I made the inside bigger than the outside.

search youtube for Reed Gray’s “finding the bottom of a bowl“ for a very simple way to determine how thick your bottom is while its still in the chuck...worth a few minutes. I took it a little further with a block that indexes to the end of a plate on the bed and allows a measure of the thickness and uses my existing depth stick.
    Also - the large veritas (I think) bowl calipers will measure bottom thickness from the tenon. Works well for me, and I use them most of the time.