Thread: Baseball bat made of oak wood

Baseball bat made of oak wood

Today I show you the production of a baseball bat made of oak wood.
    First I turned the wood with the cross support and then turned it by hand into the form of a baseball bat. After grinding I blackened the wood with iron acid (dissolved fine steel wool in 60% acetic acid and then filtered).

https://youtu.be/ZizAI8AQj2E

il hope you enjoy it

Kind Greetings
    Roger
    IMG_20200118_090032.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 01-18-2020 at 1:16 PM. Reason: Advertising not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by roger fischer View Post
    Today I show you the production of a baseball bat made of oak wood.
    First I turned the wood with the cross support and then turned it by hand into the form of a baseball bat. After grinding I blackened the wood with iron acid (dissolved fine steel wool in 60% acetic acid and then filtered).
    I rarely watch videos but I'm sure yours is good.

By "cross support" do you mean "steady rest"?

One comment and suggestion, if this bat is intended to be used to hit balls you might want to refine the handle. If you search google for baseball bat plans or baseball bat dimensions you can find lots of information and a huge number of pictures. These show how the handle is shaped for a better grip. For example, this web site has dimensions:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Baseball-Bat
    "Official" bats of various types have very specific dimensions, shapes, and probably other specifications.

Of course, if this bat is meant to be an artistic design to be looked at or displayed dimensions are not important!

JKJ

JKJ, by cross support he means the cross-slide and longitudinal carriage common on a metal lathe.

Roger, I noted a couple of knots about mid-way along the length of the bat --I would think that might be a possible breaking point should anyone ever try to use the bat to hit with.

How long did you let the iron acid solution work between the time you applied it (on the lathe), and when you were applying the finish (off the lathe)? The wood was significantly darker, so I assume the acid solution requires some time to achieve the final effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Thorpe Allen View Post
    JKJ, by cross support he means the cross-slide and longitudinal carriage common on a metal lathe.
    Turning this on a metal lathe with a captive tool in the post moved by the compound, cross feed, and longitudinal feed cranks? Yikes. Seems like that would be like drawing with an Etch-a-Sketch. But I see on second reading that perhaps that was just to get the blank round.

JKJ

Hi all

yes it was just to make it faster round:-)

il let the acid aprox for 1 day after i make the finish

is only for art and not for use

best regards

roger