Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken water spicket

Broken water spicket

I broke the top off the outside water spick-et today its 1 inch pvc I was able to get a new piece glued on after several attempts that didn't holed. Kept blowing off when I turned water on. Mostly because the water kept oozing out off the pipe and I couldn't get it to stay dry while I cemented the new piece on. I finally got it to hold but I don't trust it . I keep going outside to check it LOL
    Any Ideas of something to do so I know its not gonna blow apart during the night some time.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Stick a tampon into the pipe to absorb the water that drips through. Just pull the string to remove the tampon when your pieces have dried. A simple trick my plumber showed me one time when he was fixing the water line that ran to our house.

Blog Entries
    Picture? Presuming you still have some clean pipe to work with, turn off the water again, cut off the old piece, get your primer and glue ready, then stuff some bread (no crust!) up the pipe to temporarily stop the water, quickly prime and glue both the pipe and fitting stick them together with a twisting motion. The bread will dissolve and blow out the spigot once you turn the pressure on and open the spigot. Give it at least a minute to set before you put it under pressure. Leave the spigot open to relieve any water that gets by the bread during the minute while it cures.

Edit: The bread trick is for guys like me that wouldn't touch a tampon with a ten foot pole!! Or if it needs to pass though a valve.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-18-2020 at 8:58 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Clean it really good. Use Rain-R-Shine PVC glue, use primer/cleaner, and let it set for 15 minutes before pressurization, regardless of what the instructions say. If you use the bread trick, only use white bread.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Ra...8913/100344359

edited to add: when gluing it on, hold it in place for 30 seconds or so, so it can't push itself back out any
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-18-2020 at 9:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Ludwig View Post
    Stick a tampon into the pipe to absorb the water that drips through. Just pull the string to remove the tampon when your pieces have dried. A simple trick my plumber showed me one time when he was fixing the water line that ran to our house.

I'm all out of tampons LOL good idea tho
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Picture? Presuming you still have some clean pipe to work with, turn off the water again, cut off the old piece, get your primer and glue ready, then stuff some bread (no crust!) up the pipe to temporarily stop the water, quickly prime and glue both the pipe and fitting stick them together with a twisting motion. The bread will dissolve and blow out the spigot once you turn the pressure on and open the spigot. Give it at least a minute to set before you put it under pressure. Leave the spigot open to relieve any water that gets by the bread during the minute while it cures.

Edit: The bread trick is for guys like me that wouldn't touch a tampon with a ten foot pole!! Or if it needs to pass though a valve.

I thought of this but was worried the bread would not come out. But hey its fixed I just want to make sure it stays fixed with out taking it apart again.Not enough pvc left to do that with out digging a lot.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 01-18-2020 at 2:15 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I did the bread trick with rye bread when I was soldering copper pipes and couldn't get rid of the moisture from inside. That was the only kind of bread I had on hand at the time and it worked fine.

As long as there is nothing down stream from the repair like the screens in a washing machine, I guess it doesn't matter.

I have had good luck with both the Rise and Shine glue as will as the sharkbite style PVC fittings:

The bread trick as said above is the best way. No worries about the bread coming out.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

You need to let the glue dry several hours. I suppose this is a good candidate for a shark bite fitting.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Frankly, unless there is a physical reason why you can replace the valve completely with a new one, I wouldn't trust the glue not to give out without warning or fail the next time you try to turn it on or off.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Frankly, unless there is a physical reason why you can replace the valve completely with a new one, I wouldn't trust the glue not to give out without warning or fail the next time you try to turn it on or off.
    this is the piece that broke off the faucet screws on to this .Z-q45uhcpEx_.JPG
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    You've lost me. Are you trying to glue a broken fitting back together?
    Toss it and buy a new one. If the coupling in the image broke in half, it's no longer usable.
    Or am I missing something?
    Unless your question has been answered, why not post a pick of the actual system affected.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 01-18-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    The bread trick as said above is the best way. No worries about the bread coming out.
    But, you cannot use coins.