Thread: DIY small texturing tool.

DIY small texturing tool.

Hello,
    Highland woodworking has instructions online to make a small texturing tool much like one sold by craft supply. The link is:https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...uringtool.html. You can google diy mini texturing tool and get it that way also. Highland wood working also sells a kit with all the parts which include a 3/8 router collet, brass tube, 2- 3/8" bearing and 3/8" rare earth magnets. I bought the set of 1/8" die grinder bits and all the parts on eBay and Amazon. While waiting for the parts I turned a simple handle and drilled a 1/8" hole in the end which I inserted the die grinder bit in. I actually think it works as well as the one with bearings. Craft supply has a video of how to use the one they sell. You have to use some care so the die grinder bit does not pull out. If nothing else it was fun to make.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Rudy, I made one of those a few years back. They do work well. The only downside for me is keeping up with all the bits I have. I keep all my embellishing tools in a plastic container under my lathe and the bits seem to always get lost in the bottom of the box and I inevitably have to dig and dump everything out to find them. I wish they still had 35 mm film canisters. Those would be perfect.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Steve,

You might consider using small pill boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Rudy, I made one of those a few years back. They do work well. The only downside for me is keeping up with all the bits I have. I keep all my embellishing tools in a plastic container under my lathe and the bits seem to always get lost in the bottom of the box and I inevitably have to dig and dump everything out to find them. I wish they still had 35 mm film canisters. Those would be perfect.
    Steve,

For small parts and bits I use the plastic organizer boxes often sold at craft stores.

In this one I stick bits for Dremel into pieces of closed-cell foam cut to fit the spaces:

organizing_small_things_04.jpg organizing_small_things_03.jpg

I found one organizer box at Walmart that came with a bunch of small containers with threaded lids. They are great for some things.

organizing_small_things_01.jpg

If you stop and visit you might be able to talk me out of a few film canisters from my file photography days. I still have some of the metal canisters!

organizing_small_things_02.jpg

Wow Keith, I didn't think of that either. Like I don't have plenty of pill bottles. Thanks. .
    John, I keep all my embellishing tools in a larger lidded plastic box under the lathe, but it has no compartments. Thanks for the idea.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE