Thread: Fulton Chisels?

Fulton Chisels?

Hi All,

I am currently working on restoring a Fulton paring chisel.

I began to look on the net for information on these chisels, and I know that they made other tools as well. From what I found, Sears sold them in the 50s.

If you have any of these tools, was the quality good?

What do you know about the old fulton chisels and other fulton tools?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Fulton was a brand name used by Sear & Roebuck....before they used Craftsman.....usually made by Sargent.

Blog Entries
    My one Fulton chisel is more of a 1/2" butt chisel than a paring chisel. It does seem to be well made of decent steel.

Here is some information on Fulton branded tools:

https://www.timetestedtools.net/?s=Fulton+tools

It is a name that has been placed on items by more than one maker.

My only other Fulton item is a garden hose nozzle:

Fulton Adjustable Garden Nozzle.jpg

Some day it would be nice to see that in an old catalog.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I believe was the name on a socket chisel I bought a decade or two ago, at a flea market. Could never get it flat, though the bevel could be worked. Real close examination showed some sort of plating on it. It looked well made, with a Witherby look to it, but the plating was too aggravating. Not sure what box or drawer it resides in today!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I picked up a Fulton 1 1/2 maybe even a little wider. It had seen a lot of hard use and flattening was wasn't going to cut it so I took it to work and used there surface grinder after hours. It sharpened up nicely after that and holds an edge well and has become my go to chisel for most slicing work. It holds an edge better than the hardware varieties of today.
    Tom

They can be hit or miss. My main dovetail chisel is a Fulton, probably made in the 1930s. It works well, but there are also reports of less than stellar Fulton labeled chisels out there.