Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Post/How did I do this? Can it be corrected?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have the wheel and hub for one of those, the rest is long gone.
    Mine came with a stand, but it was in bad shape. Bought some bearings, rod and rod ends and put this together:

Ultra-Slow Speed Grind Wheel.jpg

It has been used on a few things but it is a bit coarse for my liking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    On second thought, I would square the end with a block of wood and a hand file. I would grind a new bevel with my bench grinder and then put a bevel on with my diamond bench hones.

You can find hones at Home Depot or Lowes.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/diamond%2520hone?NCNI-5
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-19-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Glad you got it figured out. One comment - looking at your first picture; it might be worthwhile to invest in a little better quality combination square. I was appalled when I checked a hardware store Stanley I had and found the head was moving significantly (rotating relative to the ruler portion).
    Regards,

Kris

Kris,

Agreed. The Swanson pictured is one that I picked up from the blue BORG as I began the rapid descent down hand tool rabbit hole. It is not exactly a precision instrument, but I can usually compensate. That said, do you have any suggestions?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Best View Post
    ... do you have any suggestions?
    Starrett is classic quality example. It's a traditional American company with a long history. Mitutoyo is a Japanese equivalent in machinist circles. There are quite a few "upstarts" making precision squares targeting wood workers. Chris Vesper, Bridge City Tool Works, Blue Spruce, Woodpeckers and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Shinwa makes well reviewed squares, but in Japanese style (which may be better depending on your preferences.)

For many of us, PEC Machinist Double Square Blems, from H.J. Epstein, have been an economical choice. Much more accurate than needed for wood (which remember moves) and pretty inexpensive compared to those others. Mine have ranged from pre-scuffed to unmarked and none of them were out of square in simple tests.

ETA: if you have access to used tool meets, the spectrum will truly expand. And prices may be even better.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 01-23-2020 at 3:53 PM. Reason: another thought

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    For many of us, PEC Machinist Double Square Blems, from H.J. Epstein, have been an economical choice. .
    These. I have some Starrett and Brown and Sharp tools as well.. but the PECs are well worth the money.

BTW, David thank you for the post. I'd forgotten where I'd gotten them from.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 01-23-2020 at 4:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    ... BTW, David thank you for the post. I'd forgotten where I'd gotten them from.
    You're welcome! (Glad I remembered, it's been a long time.) Also, thanks for Brown & Sharp, I forgot them in my list. I'm sure there are others that serve well too. OP, it depends on access, preference, and your budget & exact needs.

Nothing to add to the above except maybe check with your local tool/equipment purveyor.

Good Luck.
    Regards,

Kris