Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally got my ATC set up and running on my CNC

Brian, I am using vcarve pro for the gcode. The dropping of the Z is a postprocessor thing. I had questioned about this and was told I had to change in vcarve. I don't use clamps so I never bothered with it. Here is my macro if you are interested in seeing it. Some of the things are handled in other parts in the software and those I am still learning about.

; File: mfunc6.mac
    ; Desc: Tool change macro for no finger rack mount ATC
    ;
    ; Inputs:
    ; ToolIsUnclamped IS INP2
    ;
    ;
    ; Outputs:
    ;
    ; ToolUnclamp IS OUT8
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

O9101
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #1
    G53 X6.3231Y96.9599
    M99

O9102
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #2
    G53 X11.1710Y96.9599
    M99

O9103
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #3
    G53 X16.019Y96.9599
    M99

O9104
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #4
    G53 X20.8670Y96.9599
    M99

O9105
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #5
    G53 X25.7148Y96.9599
    M99

O9106
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #6
    G53 X30.563Y96.9599
    M99

O9107
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #7
    G53 X35.4107Y96.9599
    M99

O9108
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #8
    G53 X40.2787Y96.9599
    M99

O9109
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #9
    G53 X45.1265Y96.9599
    M99

O9110
    ;Enter the XY coordinate of Tool #10
    G53 X49.9675Y96.9599
    M99

; Variable Definitions:
    ;#150 = Tool currently in the spindle
    #100 = -8.0 ; Z height of tool rack

;skip if graphing or searching or if at the same tool
    IF [[#4120] == [#150]] || #4202 || #4201 THEN GOTO 500

IF (#150 == 0) THEN #150 = 1 ; Initialize tool
    G53 Z0 ; Move to tool change height
    M3 S0 ; Turn the spindle on
    M98 P[#150 + 9100] ; Go to tool location for the tool that's in the spindle
    G53 G1 Z[#100] F10 ; Move Z down to the tool rack
    M15 ; Unclamp the tool
    G53 Z0 ; Move Z up to tool change height
    M98 P[#4120 + 9100] ; Go to the desired tool location
    G53 G1 Z[#100] F10 ; Move Z down to the tool rack
    M16 ; Clamp the tool
    G53 Z0 ; Move Z up to tool change height
    G53 Y93.5 ; Move Y to clear tool rack
    IF #50001 ; Prevent lookahead from parsing past here
    #150 = #4120

N500

N1000 ;End of Macro

Hi Bobby,

That Macro looks clean, I understand most of it, not sure what the 4120, 4202 and 4201 are, but I'm assuming that line means if the tool called is the tool that's already in the spindle, you skip down to line 500. The rest makes sense to me, you can dial in the #100 variable to be the height down to the rack... I'd put a tool in the spindle and move down over the pocket until a .005" feeler fits between the tool holder and top of pocket and see what that number turns out to be.

Nothing in the Macro is causing the move to machine home before taking off for the tool change, so that must be in V-carve, along with the drop in Z before you get to your first XY position. I suspect you might have something like "Return to safe Z after tool change" as an option in your software. I use Sheetcam and that's what it is called in there. I changed my post to not move from Z home (all the way up), until it reaches the first XY position. It might not be an issue with vacuum clamping, but a lot of times I have vises, length stops and all sorts of issues on my table that I don't want to slam a tool into as it's going from my tool change position back to cut the part.

Now if I can just find a suitable router, I can play with this macro too!
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

I did go back and change the rack height so they aren't dropping any more. The dropping of the Z to get to the first XY position is set in vcarve. I never changed it and the default is 0.2 ". I use screws to hold down so it has never been an issue. I can make it higher but the higher you go the longer it will take to run the file so you have to have a happy medium. I could use the CNC12 software to create a safe zone that the spindle wouldn't enter those areas for clamps and such if I had the need to. I am not sure but I think the G53 is what is sending it to the front of the work piece but am not sure what to replace it with. Right now I can live with it because it keeps it from coming at an extreme angle and crashing and gives the spindle time to stop. I will probably alter that as I learn more.

I need to put the bits back in and check my tool library and then remeasure all of the tools and verify that they will all be at the proper Z zero.

Love this!!!! I'm just working to have a stable and working CNC. Once day....I'll have a nice stable CNC solution and ATC is something I hope to have. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks Dennis. I actually removed the tool rack yesterday. I am changing it up a little to make using a dustboot easier and more efficient. If it works I'll update with a new video.

Thought I would update this thread with what I have changed. The initial rack had the holders spaced apart much further than it had to be and I could add more tools to the rack. I didn't really like the idea of building a docking station and editing the macro to include that plus it would slow the tool changes down. I thought about a pneumatic boot so it would lift out of the way but really wasn't sure what parts and lengths would be needed and that was more money. David Buchhauser
    and I have been talking and tossing ideas back and forth for this and his machine. He gave me the idea of making donuts to build a rack that would allow the shoe to remain in place. That is the route that I ended up going. Thankfully MDF is cheap so making different racks is relatively inexpensive.

I built the rack with the same spacing between holders and used the metal dust shoe that came with my machine. I had to make some minor changes to the dustshoe so that the bristles wouldn't get stuck in an inward facing direction and cause an issue with putting a tool in the rack. Now I am able to leave the boot in place and it just lowers around the tool holder position allowing tool changes without removing it.

Here's a new video that shows it performing tool changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cPYcuct7s

coming along. very nice work.

Very nice work, smooth!

I came to the forum to see if I could find any info about a CNC machine I just bought (cheap!) and the first thread I found was this, my machine looks very similar to yours!
    I got zero manuals for it but I have cleaned it out and started to get to know it, it runs fine but the control system is NCStudio and the tool change is manual so I have to upgrade a bit!
    Do you happen to have any info about the spindle (mine is a 6KW) and spindle connections, specifically about the air seal and control valve for the ATC?

Here is my machine:

påplats.jpg

Not uncommon on the Chinese machines to not get much in the way of manuals. My spindle is smaller than yours and I did not receive any manuals with it. The seller still contacts me regularly to see how everything is going and I am able to ask him and get a quick answer back on most questions that I have. What are you trying to figure out? I have never used the NCStudio control system so can't help you out at all on anything there. Manual tool changes aren't too bad with an ATC spindle but might as well set it up to do them automatically since you have all the expensive stuff you need already. I love having the big machine vs the my first one which was a desktop.

You can do a Google Search similar to the one shown below to find more information about your control software.
    David

https://www.google.com/search?client...99.-a9jn39zA_A
    Google Search - ncstudio software manual english.jpg

Do you already have the solenoid valve for the ATC? And are you wanting to know how to wire it up? Or are you looking to purchase one?
    David

"I understand most of it, not sure what the 4120, 4202 and 4201 are,"

Brian...
    System variables. For example, 4120 = Current tool
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC