Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tinker toy and waste of money?

I'll check it out.
    Wonder what the shipping to Pa on that would be.

I probably have an unused desktop laying around but no laptops.

There are some controllers that are self-contained and take files via USB-A memory devices. Axiom is one of them...and there are others. Some machines like Shapeoko have you plug into your computer to transfer the file and run/control the job, but you don't need to leave the computer in the shop. Some machines have a dedicated control computer...mine is like that. The downside to using USB-A memory devices is that you will often want/need to tweak something and not having the computer right there means you have to head to the computer.

Not sure where you are in PA, but if you're reasonably near SE PA, I'd be happy to show you how CNC works at a mutually convenient time. While I have a larger machine, the principles are the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the generous offer, Jim.
    I'm in western Pa north of Pittsburgh outside of a little town called Kittanning

Little bit of a trek

Sounds like a laptop would be helpful.
    My wife won't even let me go to sleep to kill me if she thought I was getting a laptop in addition to a "tool"

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0601830624194/ Its in the Des Moines Iowa area, but we are in Florida right now.
    I never buy new computers on my desktop I replace motherboards and processors, laptop I buy used off lease Lenovo's the hospitals and clinics use them and replace every two years or so. Amazon sometimes carry or there will be a local Craigslist dealer. Your wife needs to understand its an investment, not a toy.
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-20-2020 at 8:09 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks, Bill
    I went looking for that but couldn't find it

Edit to add:

I'm probably missing something but this guy is pretty proud of his machine.It's a Bobscnc.

A brand new Bobscnc machine of that size is $898 (not assembled)

I was looking at those new as well as the $698 one
    Last edited by Larry Foster; 01-20-2020 at 8:16 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I didn't feel like reading through 3 pages of comments. Like you, I've been looking for a budget friendly CNC router that can cut stuff bigger than a sheet of copy paper. My search led me to the mostly 3D printed CNC router designed by V1 engineering. All the 3D printed files are free for download or you can buy the parts from the V1 engineering website if you don't have a 3D printer. The website also has hardware/electronic kits for sell as well if you don't want to go through the trouble of sourcing it yourself. There's a forum on the website as well as a facebook page where you can find lots of help and support.

It's a complete DIY build and the main board is similar to that of a 3D printer, including it's firmware. I've just finish assembling mine over the last week after a week of printing parts and now I'm finishing up my table.

My build will allow me to cut up to 49"x97" and my table is 57"X117". The great thing about this design is you can build it to whatever size you'd like (within reason). I've seen builds as small as 12x12 up to 49x97. From being on the forums and their facebook page for the last few weeks, I've seen the things people have cut with these machine and how capable they are.

By no means am I claiming this machine able to compete with the bigger boys but it does cut true and cleanly, just a lot slower and not as fancy. As a hobbyist, I can't justify spending $10k+ on a CNC router and I felt this is the best bang for my buck. Total, with all the hardware, electronics and a new Dewalt 611 router, I'm about $600 all in. Here are some pictures of my build so far.

20200119_145119.jpg20200118_162650.jpg20200114_062717.jpg20200111_085228.jpg

That looks interesting, Hoang.
    Do you have a link, please, so I can check it out.

I'd have to go smaller.
    Don't have room for 57X117.
    Although I wish I did

Edit:

I found V1 Engineering.
    I'll look at this.

Seems a way to get a lot of machine for not a lot of money
    Last edited by Larry Foster; 01-20-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post

I'd have to go smaller.
    Although I wish I did

Edit:

I found V1 Engineering.
    I'll look at this.

If you're going smaller, maybe consider the MPCNC instead of the lowrider2 like I did. Both the plans are on there.

I guess it all depends. Do you want to spend your time building a machine and I have been down that road many times or do you want to make parts? Your machine will be limited greatly by the use of those 3D printed parts and long belts. I am trying to figure out what your going to do with a say a 48x48 inch machine that can cut, max 1/4 inch thick plywood? I would like to see some videos and projects that have been done on the Lo-Rider for example.

It'll cut much bigger than 1/4" ply, that's been proven. 3D printed parts are also a lot stronger than you'd think. A quick google search on the lowrider2 or MPCNC will yield plenty of results and videos.

This guy, well known in the 3D printing community build one and has cut aluminum with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Tk6wY_9ms&t=491s

This guy cutting 3/4" stock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkHcQwobaSs

Here's another from the designer himself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWD2uv0K4IE&t=87s

3D printed parts isn't the limiting factor, it has more to do with the size bit and router it's able to carry.

Again, there's a facebook page with over 4k members and countless post of people sharing their cutting videos and finished projects.

No one is saying this is better then having a manufactured CNC that's store bought, but it's focused on the OP's desire to find an affordable CNC router and this fits the bill. We run 3 CNC routers at my company, all 3 north of $250k a piece. I'm not saying this $600 mostly 3D printed CNC router can ever come close to the ones we run at work, but it will work and it will cut, just slowly.

As for the belts, they run just fine. Carbon reinforced belts don't stretch like solid rubber belts and hold up for years. They're the same belts we run on our 3D printers but wider and thicker.

Interesting, I got tired of watching the video it was going so slow I thought it was locked up. Besides the belts I would be concerned about the dust and chips building up on those tires. What I said before, interesting DIY project if thats what you really want. FYI those are the same belts I have on my laser and had on my 3D printer. They still need adjustment and they do stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post

I'd have to go smaller.
    Although I wish I did

Edit:

I found V1 Engineering.
    I'll look at this.

Sorry, I forgot to attach the link to my earlier post. https://www.v1engineering.com/lowrider-cnc/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Interesting, I got tired of watching the video it was going so slow I thought it was locked up. Besides the belts I would be concerned about the dust and chips building up on those tires. What I said before, interesting DIY project if thats what you really want. FYI those are the same belts I have on my laser and had on my 3D printer. They still need adjustment and they do stretch.

Maybe you should read my other post again because I already mentioned one of it's draw backs was it's slow. You're still trying to compare this to a $15k+ machine. NO ONE IS SAYING IT COMES CLOSE. For a hobbyist, someone who doesn't make money off of owning a CNC machine, spending that much on a tool that has limited use isn't something everyone can do unless they're sitting on a mountain of money. I have access to over a million dollars of CNC routers at work, including lasers that will cut through 1" thick steel but I choose to build my own because I like to tinker with things and build things and to just also own a CNC for cuts I'd rather not do by hand. I won't lose a bit of sleep if I were to go out and drop $40k on a CNC router tomorrow but I also don't make money off these things and that's just being irresponsible with my money. The OP also stated he wants something to tinker with and has a limited budget. No one is forcing this idea down your throat, don't try so hard to hate on it.

Not trying to hate on it but I kind of agree with Bill. If someone enjoys building machines and tinkering with them then it would be fine. If your interest isn't in tinkering with the machine but rather producing things from the video that I saw it looks like you would be disappointed or I would. I bought my first machine not knowing anything about a cnc. I had never even heard of them and saw one at Rocklers and thought it looked cool. It was fun for a few months until I realized that it was more of a toy than a tool. It wasn't made to have the stiffness that you would need to easily produce quality items. I spent more time sanding and cleaning up than the machine took carving them. It was maybe 6 months and I had enough and sold it. From the video it looked like it produced much better finished item. After a couple of years off I got the urge to get another machine and this time I had an idea of what I was looking for in a machine. My experiences are so much better now. No longer do I spend hours trying to sand in crevices and pockets to clean it up. Normally a 5 minute sand and I am done.

Just spend time learning about what to expect and know what you want to accomplish. Building one isn't hard. Researching the knowledge to do it is the hardest part. I've seen people make them completely out of wood in their garage and have a decent machine. Last thing I would want you to do is spend your $500 on one and not know what you were getting into and not liking it. A homemade machine is definitely harder to resell so you might just eat that money if you don't like it.

My first CNC project was converting a mill drill to CNC my second was trying to get a blue light laser CNC working and reliable.
    I am a retired master electrician with a pretty complete home machine shop. With my welders and such I can build damn near any thing I wanted CNC or not.
    But I wanted to make things, not machines that have zero resale. The OP as I understand wanted a reliable working machine.