Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Rusty Tools

Not overly helpful, but if you get in a bind with your plane blade, if you send me your blade, I will put on a hollow grind then sharpen it... And then send it back to you.

With them hollow grind, you should be able to free hand grind.

Hi Jim
    I really don't have much for sharpening. I have a rough bench grinder and stone at work for our wood chisels.
    We have sharpened our wood chisels for years but nothing to exact. Chisels get used a lot around here for digging out old window putty. But I have sharpened a bunch of them over the years...so I'm not new to sharpening.

I have a Norton dual sided Aluminum Oxide oil sharpening stone at home....its really old but not used much. Orange/gray color, not sure what grit it is. Says course/fine. I use if for my chisels.

Its time I look at getting the right setup to sharpen my plane blades. I have looked at the diamond stones from DMT but haven't bought anything yet.

Thanks for the offer Andrew...might do that.

Blog Entries
    Its time I look at getting the right setup to sharpen my plane blades. I have looked at the diamond stones from DMT but haven't bought anything yet.
    Getting a system that works for your needs is the tricky part. They all seem to work and have their own advantages.

Some folks like their diamond stones. Mine are only used in the kitchen. They are a fine and extra fine mounted on blocks of wood. They are used to touch up the blades between trips to the shop. In the shop both oilstones and water stones are set up with a little bit of scary sharp with abrasive sheets.

Everyone has unique requirements their sharpening system needs to fulfill. For me it is a variety of woodworking tools, gardening tools and a few odd ball items like a razor, scythe or various, spur of the moment, metal working.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

New links for videos added for clarity
    https://youtu.be/F1X56MKUEZ0
    https://youtu.be/bfdmnMTK7Og