Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Get This (Slider) Party Started

Let's Get This (Slider) Party Started

I'm about ready to retire my Unisaw and move up to a slider. I welcome your advise.

Here are my requirements/constraints/questions:
    - I'm located in the Denver area.
    - Thinking about SCM and Felder. I suppose these are the default choices. What else should I look at?
    - I frequently work with 4' x 8' sheet goods. My understanding is that a 9' - 10' slider is best to accommodate 8 foot sheets. I have the space for either length. What length is ideal?
    - My shop door opening is small at 32". The Felder K500S should fit through as the width of the main machine is 759mm. Not sure about SCM or others yet.
    - Since most work is the the left of the blade, and I almost never use the 48" capacity on my cabinet saw, will I regret getting a slider with a 31" rip capacity?

Thanks in advance
    Cheers,
    Mark

Well, I can’t really give you an impartial answer except to say that the K500S is a GREAT entry-level professional slider. The 9’ slider and 48” rip capacity are standard for the US market. I guess you could order with 31” rip capacity but there would probably little to no price difference. Most of the shops I go into, you will see a stack of offcuts, a cutlist, and yeti mug or coffee cup on that side of the saw. So, people find a use for it. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I would suggest cutting the wall and framing in at least 36 inch door. Maybe even a french door. Tell the keepper of the purse it will improve energy efficiancy with a new well insulated door.
    Bill D

Mark

i have a felder k700 and it is a great saw - do you have three phase or single phase? I would get in touch with Kevin Slaugh from Felder - if you want to see a saw and cut something, let me know, I am in Brighton. I do not thing you could go wrong with either saw, but I am slanted towards Felder

John

Hi, since you feel you have a need for an 8 foot straight line capacity, go for it.

I have a 49 inch capacity straight line and it's perfect for me as I make solid wood furniture.

I also have no use for a 49 inch rip capacity on a slider, to me it's a waste of shop space.

You'll love having a slider, my one comment is that if you wish to use dado capability, you'll need an overarm blade guard. I had to add that to mine...........Regards, Rod.

I went from a vintage Delta 12/14" cabinet saw and a Powermatic 65 10" cabinet saw to a Minimax (SCM) SC4E, which is their basic 8.5 foot slider. I kept the Powermatic and installed it in the "outfeed" position of the slider and use it for smaller joinery work. I very seldom use plywood as I mostly build furniture from solid, but after having used the saw for about six months there isn't any way I would go back. Sam Blasco, one of the Minimax sales reps, has a good Youtube channel with lots of slider info. Another Youtuber, Extreme Woodworker, has a number of slider videos and although he uses a Felder, most of it is applicable to any sliding table saw.

The Minimax probably won't fit through a 32" door. I brought mine in through a 10 foot garage door with a pallet jack and it was still a fussy job.

Quote Originally Posted by John P Clark View Post
    Mark

i have a felder k700 and it is a great saw - do you have three phase or single phase? I would get in touch with Kevin Slaugh from Felder - if you want to see a saw and cut something, let me know, I am in Brighton. I do not thing you could go wrong with either saw, but I am slanted towards Felder

John

Thanks a lot for the offer, John. I may take you up on a visit. I would much prefer a K700 over the 500, but as mentioned the shop entrance is a constraint for now. I have single phase, so I'll stick with that.

Rod, why do you need the overhead guard with a dado? UK requirement?

Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, since you feel you have a need for an 8 foot straight line capacity, go for it.

I have a 49 inch capacity straight line and it's perfect for me as I make solid wood furniture.

I also have no use for a 49 inch rip capacity on a slider, to me it's a waste of shop space.

You'll love having a slider, my one comment is that if you wish to use dado capability, you'll need an overarm blade guard. I had to add that to mine...........Regards, Rod.

Is this for Hobby or Biz? If Biz 9’ min 10’ if you can, if felder min 700 series and I haven’t had my hands on a 900 series but If I was still in biz I would want a stronger build. i had an SCM for years and never had an issue, again if in business today I would be looking for a used Altendorf, Martin, scm there are others...

If hobby and you have no professional/commercial background then I suppose anything from a grizzly, hammer or felder k500 will do to keep cost down

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockenberg View Post
    I'm about ready to retire my Unisaw and move up to a slider. I welcome your advise.

Here are my requirements/constraints/questions:
    - I'm located in the Denver area.
    - Thinking about SCM and Felder. I suppose these are the default choices. What else should I look at?
    - I frequently work with 4' x 8' sheet goods. My understanding is that a 9' - 10' slider is best to accommodate 8 foot sheets. I have the space for either length. What length is ideal?
    - My shop door opening is small at 32". The Felder K500S should fit through as the width of the main machine is 759mm. Not sure about SCM or others yet.
    - Since most work is the the left of the blade, and I almost never use the 48" capacity on my cabinet saw, will I regret getting a slider with a 31" rip capacity?

Thanks in advance
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 01-17-2020 at 3:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Rod, why do you need the overhead guard with a dado? UK requirement?

Mark K
    Hi Mark, I'm actually in Canada.

The standard guard is splitter mounted so it can't be used for a non through cut.

I put a modified overarm guard on mine as per the photograph....Rod.

Completed Installation.jpg

Oops, sorry... right forgot about the splitter mounted guard, I have the over head...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Mark, I'm actually in Canada.

The standard guard is splitter mounted so it can't be used for a non through cut.

I put a modified overarm guard on mine as per the photograph....Rod.

Completed Installation.jpg

Mark, not sure I agree. There are two shops in my area with K500's. One in my neighborhood, in fact. That customer bought his about a year ago. The others are the second owners (they bought it, used) and that machine is about 6-7 years old. Zero issues with either. In fact, both guys love them. I think it's easy to say "if you are a pro shop, you must have this beefy thing", and do I sell a lot of beefy sliders, too, but try to remind myself that for the one-man shop doing a kitchen or so a month, something like a K500S puts them light years ahead of a standard cabinet saw and also makes a lot of sense from cost/benefit standpoint. Just my experience. Pic of 7-year old machine for proof.
    1A4202E2-ADC4-418C-A094-745ED5E2AD59.jpg

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Is this for Hobby or Biz? If Biz 9’ min 10’ if you can, if felder min 700 series and I haven’t had my hands on a 900 series but If I was still in biz I would want a stronger build. i had an SCM for years and never had an issue, again if in business today I would be looking for a used Altendorf, Martin, scm there are others...

If hobby and you have no professional/commercial background then I suppose anything from a grizzly, hammer or felder k500 will do to keep cost down

Mark - Technically hobby. BUT, I come from owning a commercial shop and my experience is with a big SCMI slider, Streibig panel saw, Biesse Rover, etc.. I'm used to getting commercial quality cuts on sheet goods and solids. This is why I mentioned a 9'+ slider at the start. I'm not willing to give up on quality to save dollars. At the same time I don't think I need a new Martin/Altendorf, etc. and don't have the space to get one in anyway.

Did they change the chassis of the 700? My 2004-2006 KF700 fit through a 33” door. Like the other guy suggested, I am very strongly considering cutting out a much larger opening. Getting the saw through that opening wasnt awful, because the pallet jack opening is in the front. However, disassembling the optional overhead guard and fence and extension Table are kind of a PITA.

If this is for business, I kinda agree with Mark. I know diddly about machines compared to others around here, but my vintage of felder 700 is a fine enough machine. I am very tender with it. I use it almost exclusively for small to medium sized furniture parts. I’ve done a few medium sized island/table tops on the saw. The outrigger doesn’t instill a ton of confidence with larger and heavier workpieces. It moves and wiggles when you put modest weight on it.

Patrick - Current K700 schematic shows a chassis width of 940mm (37"). So that's why I'm challenged on the shop door. I'd love to build a new shop building but that adds six figures to the saw price