Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw blade care

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    When I tension the blade, I turn the bandsaw task light on. When I turn the light off, I de-tension the blade. Works for me.
    This is what I do as well.

I always assumed the de-tensioning was as much about saving unnecessary bearing load as anything.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    I have a 14” Grizzly BS that I use infrequently. I release the tension when not in use to prevent deforming the rubber on the wheels.
    The saw has a tension lever so it is easy to do and there’s no “penalty” in releasing the tension.

Any thoughts on if I’m really saving the wheel rubber?
    Mark, since I've never done it in 40 years, I doubt if you are saving the tire.............Rod.

The blade, frame, and spring all will happily sit there for years under tension without complaint, as long as you stay within the max. spring tension of the saw. Rubber tires, however, can and will take a set or stretch, like they did on my 14" Delta. It was so bad that the saw would shake pretty badly for several minutes each time I turned it on if it had sat unused overnight or longer. This is exactly the reason Woodlander cites on their bandsaw lumber mills of why tension should be released when it's not being used, as John J. referenced above. Anyway, I finally put new tires on it and leave it under tension w/o issues now. My larger 17" Grizzly has a quick release lever, and I use it infrequently, so I release the tension when not using it.

Patrick Kane, how much wood have you cut on that Resaw King blade? I've never had that kind of life out of any blade, including carbide, before it needed to be re-sharpened.

John

John, my band saw has been in the shop for 18 years without tire issue, maybe it's due to the tire material?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    John, my band saw has been in the shop for 18 years without tire issue, maybe it's due to the tire material?

Regards, Rod.
    I'm quite sure you are correct, Rod. Since I changed the tires on my 14" Delta I haven't had a problem and leave it under tension. I'm pretty sure tires that are vulcanized to the wheel, like on my Grizzly, don't suffer from this problem.

John

I never de-tension the sawmill except to change blades, the blade runs on 4.80-12 trailer tires and they don't seem to care. I also never take the tension off the shop bandsaws except to change blades. My little Rikon 10-305 had the same blade in it for over a year, under tension, and I didn't see any negative effects to the tires or the blade. My 18" Jet has urethane tires from Sulphur Grove Tool and they are very hard and non-stretchy, so I can't imagine that they could be affected by the blade tension.
    Zach

I put a couple of labels on my bandsaw next to the on/off switch.

It says Blade Tension On
    or Blade Tension Off.

I put a magnet next to whichever tension level I keep it at.

That being said, I forget to release the tension a bunch. But at least I don't try to start my beast with the tension down.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I put a couple of labels on my bandsaw next to the on/off switch.
    It says Blade Tension On
    or Blade Tension Off.
    I put a magnet next to whichever tension level I keep it at.
    That being said, I forget to release the tension a bunch. But at least I don't try to start my beast with the tension down.
    Ha, I once forgot to retension and didn't notice until getting into the first part of teaching a bandsaw class! The saw was still cutting but I was puzzled with some drift and other problems until I remembered the tension. How embarrassing!

Did you happen to see the picture I posted about the tension reminder: For me it is foolproof since I put it on the table every time I release tension. I saw this idea on one forum or another, maybe here. I wish I had wrotten it down on the piece of wood so I could credit the person. Here's the picture again. I hang it on the quick release lever.

tension.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Mark, since I've never done it in 40 years, I doubt if you are saving the tire.............Rod.
    Thanks Rod- that’s something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ha, I once forgot to retension and didn't notice until getting into the first part of teaching a bandsaw class! The saw was still cutting but I was puzzled with some drift and other problems until I remembered the tension. How embarrassing!

Did you happen to see the picture I posted about the tension reminder: For me it is foolproof since I put it on the table every time I release tension. I saw this idea on one forum or another, maybe here. I wish I had wrotten it down on the piece of wood so I could credit the person. Here's the picture again. I hang it on the quick release lever.

tension.jpg

JKJ
    Another version of this method is to use a carabiner. Clip it on the tension mechanism when tensioned and move it to around the blade when detensioned.