Thread: Aquarium decor?

Aquarium decor?

Anyone ever made aquarium fixtures for submersion?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Anyone ever made aquarium fixtures for submersion?
    Many times: What do you want to know? (pic of current project for attention)

8D846500-88A6-446D-97D4-AB3E6602D06E.jpg

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I guess most importantly is the question of materials. Obviously, buoyancy or lack there of is an issue. Do I need to worry about the wood, fasteners or adhesives being detrimental to the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I guess most importantly is the question of materials. Obviously, buoyancy or lack there of is an issue. Do I need to worry about the wood, fasteners or adhesives being detrimental to the environment?
    I glue the rocks/branches/etc. in place with polyurethane waterfall building foam. It's basically a dark version of window foam (which people also use for this type of thing). You can buy it Lowe's, HD, etc. There is a whole hobby around building these types of structures with p/u foam. Google "window foam vivarium" and grab a cup of coffee.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

When your custom woodworking clients are fish it adds an extra layer of complexity to the communication dynamic, I would imagine. I haven't tried myself but it sounds interesting.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I glue the rocks/branches/etc. in place with polyurethane waterfall building foam. It's basically a dark version of window foam (which people also use for this type of thing). You can buy it Lowe's, HD, etc. There is a whole hobby around building these types of structures with p/u foam. Google "window foam vivarium" and grab a cup of coffee.

Erik
    Thx. Seems like an excellent way to beg away a Friday night

Keep in mind ease of cleaning the aquarium when you are doing this. I know whereof I speak on this, having dealt with a 5' tall, 1000 gal aquarium in my den for 20 plus years.

I took the fiberglass route for decorations, but as Erik said, material and buoyancy are important. Try to avoid crevices that can't be easily accessed from above, or they'll basically permanently be dirty / filled with algae, etc...

IS2r9sx33g50rc0000000000.jpg

And, of course, the golden rule is that any aquarium taller than your reach becomes exponentially more difficult to clean:
    PICT0051.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan, that is one awesome aquarium!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Alan, that is one awesome aquarium!

Erik
    Second that!
    Alan brings up a very good point about maintenance. A thorough cleaning of my small (by comparison) 110gal is almost an all day affair.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yeah, build a 6 ton aquarium, and incidentally built a house around it. And you haven’t lived until you do a 300 gal water change.

Always think of maintenance first. Really matters a lot.