Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving and finally getting a Shop. Similar experiences?

ACE hardware offers a lesser version of these. They stack reasonably well and clearly display contents. SOME of the dividers are removable.

I got 10 @ $10 by requesting a discount.

Nicer versions are terribly expensive.

Steven,

The build of storage projects you have done and posted, especially the chest of drawers type tool cabinet, have definitely given me ideas. I am planning to do something similar for my coffee cans of screws, nails, etc.

From what the pictures have posted show, I think you have done a lot to organize your shop.

Stew

One year at Christmas, my ex-wife and two sons decided that they would get me things to get my hardware organised. Like a lot of guys, i stored hardware in tattered original boxes, coffee cans, soup cans, baby-food jars and cigar boxes. I "sort-of" knew where to find things. After 30 years I at least knew where to start looking! But the family decided to buy me a bunch of Plano drawer units in several different sizes and set out to secretly "organize" all of the hardware, while I was away on a business trip.

Of course none of them had a clue about hardware types and materials. So their criteria for organizing went a lot like this:

Pointy-screws that are shiny and mostly silver. (Woodscrews, steel, or chrome-plated)
    Pointy-screws that are mostly gold (brass or bronze)
    Pointy-screws that wont fit into either category (black oxide, ceramic coated)
    Not-pointy-screws that are the same color designations as above. (machine screws)
    Nails, shorter than one inch.
    Nails, one inch and longer.
    Things that nobody could identify.

Once the mountain of hardware was "sorted" Each of these items had their own Plano box.

They were all very excited to give me this. The first one I opened was the "Nails shorter than one inch" box. I opened the drawers and tried to smile enthusiastically as I looked to find brads, escutcheon pins, roofing nails, siding nails, and carpet tacks all mixed together in all of the drawers, sort of loosely organised by length.

All the other categories were similar. I really appreciated the gift and smiled broadly imagining the hours of sorting and organizing that I would do. It actually took several years to straighten it all out. But it was actually fun.

I no longer complain about getting ties for Christmas.

DC

Blog Entries
    I no longer complain about getting ties for Christmas.
    ROTHFLMAO!!!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

To help with the cleanup phase, throw out all the screws that require a straight screwdriver.

Then you can probably trim your screwdriver collection.

Start a couple of buckets, screws to recycling, tools to Habitat Restore.

Blog Entries
    To help with the cleanup phase, throw out all the screws that require a straight screwdriver.
    The straight screwdriver screws would be welcome in my shop.

My preference is for brass hardware on many projects. Some times the steel screws are used for lesser projects.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input. I think there is some pretty good advise here.

That said, like Jim, I have some screws that I have had for years that have straight slots, not a lot of them, but many in sizes that I have no other type in. For that reason I am currently keeping them for repairs or to replace lost screws from something that needs fixing, but not necessarily for new projects.

One thing I have learned is that I like flat tray/boxes that have hinged lids, because in my case I am less likely to spill the contents when taking the tray/boxes out of the holders....not to say that I am the type of klutz that spills stuff readily.....it's just that I am the type of klutz that spills stuff readily.

Keep the good advise and experience coming!

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-24-2020 at 11:28 PM.