Thread: Problems Mounting CBN Wheels on Dayton Grinder

Problems Mounting CBN Wheels on Dayton Grinder

I put CBN wheels on my 8" bench grinder because they are fricking incredible. Problem: the wheels don't mate up with the spacers included with the grinder. The spacers are made for wheels that are about an inch thick all the way across. My CBN wheels have prominent hubs, but they're recessed between the hubs and the outer grinding areas. The wheels work fine if I don't apply a lot of pressure, but if I push too much, they slip because they're not supported correctly.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has solved this problem. I'm more of a metal guy than a woodworker. I kind of wonder if people here have made wooden parts fill the gaps.

Each side of my grinder has an interior spacer which is basically a long tube with a flat disk on the end. The tube must rest on a bearing inside the grinder. I could machine new spacers with deep rims that press against the wheels, or I could make metal rings to fit between the old spacers and the wheels.

The exterior spacers are like giant washers that are convex in the middle. I could try similar tricks with them.

I'm a little concerned that whatever I make will introduce runout, but maybe I'm just overly cautious.

01 16 20 dayton grinder inner spacer resting on CBN wheel small.jpg
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I used bronze bushings as spacers on my Metabo, but it's been enough years ago now that I don't remember the specifics. It runs dead smooth with them. They go up inside the motor casing some.

edited to add: shouldered bushings
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-16-2020 at 8:18 PM.

I wonder why Wood Turners Wonders doesn't put wider hubs on wheels.

In addition to their spherical washer sets, Wood Turners Wonders also offers machined washers: https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...hined-aluminum

Those products aren't any better than what I have now, but it's nice to see they're doing something.

I would add blotters on both sides of the wheel to improve grip. Easy to make your own.
    Bill D

Here's mine running with the ebay bronze shoulder bushing for a spacer. You can even see it in the picture. It ran like this while I went to the truck, and came back with the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.