Thread: Foley Belsaw Planer

Foley Belsaw Planer

my old FB 12” planer tried to start yesterday spun slowly then quit. I let it cool down but it has never tried to start again. Thinking starting capacitor. Pulled off the rear cover and it has what looks like 3 capacitor. Two black ones together and an Aluminum colored one by it self. I was thinking just replace all three. I live in rural Alabama next township past nowhere. Getting a service tech out here it impossible.
    Loading this monster in my truck is possible if i use my front end loader.
    Any one know who could service this planer in the Oxford/ Anniston area of Alabama
    or got any advise?
    Thanks
    Tom Megow
    Delta, Al
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Unless you suspect the starter to be the problem, just remove the motor and take it to a motor shop. They'll fix whatever's wrong with it.

John

Spent formative years in Munford on a dairy farm. Church in Estaboga. Mother was from Clay county, Shinbone Valley, next to Catchmedoggie (sp) creek.

Thrity/forty years ago, I might have known somebody. Look for capacitors that are out of round or swollen ends or leaking. You should find marking on them. You can order capacitors on line. You might be out $30 for changing the capacitors and finding out that the windings or centrifugal switch needs attention. Rewinding can be expensive. The switch can be expensive (from an electrical house) but you can find replacement parts often at some reasonable prices.

Blog Entries
    I would check that the centrifugal switch in the end of the motor is working properly. Sawdust can accumulate and interfere with the proper operation of the switch. There may be nothing wrong with you capacitors. The cure may be as simple as blowing out the sawdust once you remove the cover. Witht he power disconnected, see if the motor shaft and pulleys rotate freely.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If I was in your position I'd pull the motor and drive 25miles east to Electric Motor Repair Of Anniston Ala Inc.

i did carry the planer into Anniston. Motor is shot

Thanks
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost