Thread: 1/8" shaper cutter for 3/8" stock

1/8" shaper cutter for 3/8" stock

I produce a hardwood panel that is 3/8" in thickness. I'd like to add a 1/8" tongue and groove to the long edges. The smallest shaper head set up I find is 1/4" which I'm pretty sure will not leave me much meat left.

I know I can get a custom complete head made, but I'd prefer replaceable inserts if possible. Any of you folks know if such a thing exists? Of companies I could pursue?
    I've searched quite a bit but so far have run into dead ends.

thanks,
    Jeff

How about shimming to 1/8" between two straight insert cutters, and using a 1/8" kerf saw blade for the groove?
    JR

I like what J.R. said. The other option is go to a router table if you are using stock that thin.

I'm not sure if this is what your describing, but you can get heads made with replaceable carbide inserts for your profile. Not cheap, but if your doing enough of it then may be worth it. CT Tool as well as CGG Schmidt are 2 good options for that route. I had a set made recently for a custom T&G flooring job and I think it was close to $1k for the 2 heads and 2 sets of knives.

good luck,
    JeffD

A "Euroblock " cutterhead from Amana or CMT may also work ,you can get knives custom ground for these heads (HSS).

I would do what Mike says and just get a euroblock and have knives made to fit. The blocks I use accept 55mm high knives which means you should be able to get the tongue and the grooving profile on just one knife for lower custom fees. If you have a lot to do (or use man-made materials), then they can be tipped in carbide too.

If you dont already have a euroblock, they're extremely versatile and you'll get a lot of use out of one.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

I have the adjustable Frued set and can get it down to 7/16 with a little V-groove.

Have you considered doing this on a table saw using a 1/8" carbide blade with the board on edge and using feather boards to keep the work against the fence? One pass for the groove and 2 passes for the tongue. For the tongue, it might work better if you use a dado blade set to about 1/4" so that the edges would be cleaner. I used a box joint blade once to make a small tongue this way.

Charley

Jeff,

If I were you I would look at buying the rangate multi use cutter. It’s not inexpensive, but you can do the job you’re looking to do, with many more cuts possible too. The inserts are replaceable and you get what you pay for. You’ll be surprised how many types of cuts you can do with the multi use cutter. In the end, this cutter probably saves you money over buying dedicated carbide tipped cutters that have limited uses.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Tebo; 01-19-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Matt, you are right about that. I read this post and was thinking in my shop I would stack the Multi Use or a adj. groover for the stub tenon or tenon then make the groove with a 1/8” saw blade in the shaper. But yes the Multi Use stacked with a 3mm groover inserted would do it all from one head with the ability to fine tune the fit in the stack.
    I always prefer stacked cutters for the tenon just to get the fit I want. I have a few T&G cutters for the Euro blocks but hardly use them. It is an inexpensive way to go though.