Thread: Simple question here ...

Simple question here ...

I want to make some coasters using 1/8th cork and 1/2in hardwood.

Does the cork go face up or down? If the cork is up, what is a good sealer if any?

I want to do some Laser Engraving on which ever material is visible.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Tim

I would make them with the cork down to protect the surface they're put on. After all, that's why we use coasters.

I'd make them round and turn the wood so that there's a slight raised ring around the outside. Finish with something that can resist water from condensation. Or put cork in the center of the wood, inside the raised ring.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I would make them with the cork down to protect the surface they're put on. After all, that's why we use coasters.

I'd make them round and turn the wood so that there's a slight raised ring around the outside. Finish with something that can resist water from condensation. Or put cork in the center of the wood, inside the raised ring.

Mike
    Thank you Mike for your thoughts.
    Tim

Either or as far as up or down...

I'd leave the cork unfinished since it's job is to soak up condensation & protect a surface from moisture. If sealed, the moisture would just puddle and eventually spill - defeating the purpose of the cork.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

cork down to keep the surface you're trying to protect from getting scratched. Cork on the other side as well if you like that look/feel. Dish the top to keep condensation/spills from running off the coaster and onto the surface you're trying to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Either or as far as up or down...

I'd leave the cork unfinished since it's job is to soak up condensation & protect a surface from moisture. If sealed, the moisture would just puddle and eventually spill - defeating the purpose of the cork.

Good point Rich, thank you.

Hey Roger, If the cork is down and I choose a wood surface facing up do you apply a finish to the wood? Recommendations? Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    cork down to keep the surface you're trying to protect from getting scratched. Cork on the other side as well if you like that look/feel. Dish the top to keep condensation/spills from running off the coaster and onto the surface you're trying to protect.

Blog Entries
    We have a variety of coasters with cork. The ceramic ones have the cork on the bottom. The wooden ones have the cork in the glass recess on the top.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    Hey Roger, If the cork is down and I choose a wood surface facing up do you apply a finish to the wood? Recommendations? Thank you.
    I'd use polyurethane for water/alcohol resistance.