Thread: Detail sander recommendations

Detail sander recommendations

Hi first post. Thanks for the information.
    anything between the BD mouse for $30 and the $270 dts 400 available in the US? I am hobby woodworker not a pro.

I've got the Festool RO 90DX. It's got its uses, but I wouldn't recommend it as a detail sander. It's just too bulky.

Most of the oscillating multitools have triangular sanding pad adapters. I wouldn't want to use it for an hour even, but they work ok for small areas. You chew through sandpaper fast though, since it tends to be the very corner that does most of the work. The tool itself may be too bulky for what you want to sand.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

For small areas the Fein Multi-Talent is a reliable option at around $150 and also accepts saw blades, scrapers, etc. I only use mine in corners and other places where nothing else will work, usually in remodeling, refinishing and the like. When building new you can usually plan to avoid that by sanding before assembly. My go-to sanding tools are a hand-held belt sander, a 5" random orbit, a cabinet scraper and velcro back cork block used with the 5" disks.

I have a mouse. You have to buy their paper, and its not cheap. Its not good either. I think the Craftsman mouse copy is the same so you can buy their even more expensive paper. Why is it that you want one? I rather use sanding blocks and good (Indasa) sandpaper.
    I got the mouse more for polishing ukuleles, but I got a buffing system and now I don't even know where the mouse is. It's a good tool, sands right up against the bridge and the fretboard on the uke. But a sanding block does too...... That is the spot that I used the mouse to polish ukes. It did do that well, and probably no other tool could do it.

I also have a Mouse and found paper for it at Home Depot under the Diablo name. It is good for corners that nothing else will reach but not much else.

If you can get it for around $30, go for it. If you hate it you may be able to return it depending on where you buy it. If not, you are only out $30.