Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non flimsy face shield

I use this one from Grizzly. It is listed as a welding shield but it ships with a clear plastic eye cover. Its very light and I have not had any problems with my glasses fogging. The head gear is adjustable and very comfortable. Welding and clear replacement lenses are available.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-17-2020 at 9:42 AM.

I use a Bionic shield. I like it. BUT I'm one of the few people who uses the cage. I know 3. Me and 2 friends. If you're just starting, I'd recommend getting used to turning with the cage down. AAW mag had an article its good reading. One of the suggestions is to paint it flat black, that makes it easier to see past it. I've been saved from several hits that could have been at least painful and bleeding. Actually I recommend to everyone to install the cage and use it if you have one........
    Another side point, I also wear safety glasses under the Bionic, a chip one day decided to bounce off my smock and hit me right in the eye. No damage, just some pain.......

I know it's expensive and probably nowhere near as protective as a riot helmet and visor, but I just bought myself a Trend AirPro with the impact visor.

I always wear my prescription safety glasses all the time, but these are not really full coverage for my eyes.

Wearing a lower face respirator, I found my glasses had a tendency to fog up and even more so when I wear either my Bionic and a 3M face shield.

So with just starting turning, a month or two ago, I realized you are much more in the debris path than most other types of woodworking operations, or at least the stuff I do.

So although a pricey solution, the Trend seemed to tick all the boxes. I've had it about a week now and have been wearing it pretty much 100% whenever I use any power tool. The weight is not really an issue and it's comfortable to wear for hour long periods. I can put it on and off without disturbing my prescription safety glasses and it smells nice, like eucalyptus, when it's running. I didn't't buy the ear defenders, but am going to add those. I often listen to music, from a bluetooth speaker, but found the noise of the fan, on the Airshield Pro, although not loud, it drowns out the music from the speaker, so I may as well use the ear defenders.

I just bought myself a new lathe and after reading the injury to Lynne, I will be adding the cage and with force myself to get used to it.

For me, first like of defense is to stand out of the line of fire. Not a cure all, but a big help. If I wanted serious head protection, I would think a hockey goalie mask, or baseball catcher's mask with a polycarbonate eye shield would be good. Don't know if they make those though....

robo hippy

I’ve been using this for many years. The face shield size is 9x14.5” X .080 (2mm) thick and is very sturdy so I know what you are looking for exists. The face shield actually replaces the flimsy one that came with the unit. (I had to modify the hole pattern to fit)

The shield is stamped “WP96 polycarbonate” and “Z87+”.

(I just read the article about Lynn Yamaguchi and thought I should add I do not turn. I really don’t know if this shield would be appropriate for turning but it’s been fine for use at the table and chop saws).

Im looking through my receipts to try to find out where I bought it.

Didnt find a receipt but you can buy it at Grainger and other places. Just google “WP96 polycarbonate”

https://www.grainger.com/product/4RC...PC:+Google+PLA

Amazon has it for $6.48.

026F3673-E632-4BED-8312-F301A46D2E94.jpg562EAE4D-B6D5-49FF-A1D7-6A0FF8B9345C.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 01-17-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    For me, first like of defense is to stand out of the line of fire. Not a cure all, but a big help. ...
    robo hippy
    That's a good reminder - I agree with the "line of fire" defense. Others sometime mention it but I saw Graehme Priddle making the point repeatedly in a demo, verbally and by example, to stand well out of the way every time the lathe is turned on.

Probably a huge factor I haven't seen mentioned here is what and how one turns. Big blanks, out of balance/natural edge, big bowls, large wood with voids and cracks all need a different level of protection than ornament globes, spindles, and other small things, even small bowls. Other factors: turning aggressively, at higher speed, or with limited skill/experience. I once watched a turner in a class pry the same bowl out of the chuck three times and bounce it across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    +1! I don't do a lot of turning, but her account of her horrible accident remains in my mind every time I work in the shop when no one else is home (which is often). I have made it a point to always have my phone in my pocket when in the shop, and I have enabled the feature on the shop Amazon Echo that would allow me to ask Alexa to call 911 should I be unable to even use my phone.
    +1 on keeping the phone in my pocket when working alone!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post

I just bought myself a new lathe and after reading the injury to Lynne, I will be adding the cage and with force myself to get used to it.
    Thank you . Now I know 4 people who use the cage...... It's really not that hard to get used to.
    When you hear that zing when something solid hits the cage, you'll be happy. And safe. I said hear, because you won't see anything hit the cage until you hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Thank you . Now I know 4 people who use the cage...... It's really not that hard to get used to.
    When you hear that zing when something solid hits the cage, you'll be happy. And safe. I said hear, because you won't see anything hit the cage until you hear it.
    Kyle:
    You now have 5 on your list
    Jeff Clode

[QUOTE=Keith Outten;2983631]I use this one from Grizzly. It is listed as a welding shield but it ships with a clear plastic eye cover. Its very light and I have not had any problems with my glasses fogging. The head gear is adjustable and very comfortable. Welding and clear replacement lenses are available.
    QUOTE]

Be aware that that is a "splash guard", not impact rated.