Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non flimsy face shield

Non flimsy face shield

Anyone know of a face shield that isn't flimsy? I paid 40.00 for mine and it doesn't seem like it would protect from much of an impact. This is the one I bought...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Dueane Hicks; 01-16-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: correction
    Where did I put those band aids?

I don't know. Mine is also pretty flimsy, but it does a good job of keeping shavings from showering up into my face when I'm rough turning banjo rims. My guess is that one that is strong enough to protect from a heavy impact would be very heavy and thus uncomfortable, and that it might not be that helpful from a physical standpoint anyway. It's like a guy said to me once about wearing a hardhat when felling trees. "It'll protect you from small branches but if anything big lands on you all that hardhat will do is drive your feet further into the ground".
    Zach

I was thinking about getting this one, have it in my cart now but not sure if it is any better than the one you bought?
    Uvex Bionic Face Shield with Clear Polycarbonate Visor and Anti-Fog/Hard Coat (S8510)

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence munninghoff View Post
    I was thinking about getting this one, have it in my cart now but not sure if it is any better than the one you bought?
    Uvex Bionic Face Shield with Clear Polycarbonate Visor and Anti-Fog/Hard Coat (S8510)
    Both the Bionic and the Sellstrom meet ANSI Z87.1 standards
    I have several of the Bionic shields and they do, while not necessarily feel flimsey, but feel light weight.

If you want to try something that feels quite substantial you might consider the 3M full face industrial respirator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JZ1M10
    It meets the same standards but feels very strong, like a tank compared to the Bionic. It's a respirator too, can be used with two P100 filters for dust protection. I have several of these which I mostly use when spraying chemicals, but with different filters. (It was also great for keeping smoke out of the eyes whIte cutting firebreaks in the woods!) It costs a bit more than the lightweight face shields.

Shown without filters attached.
    respirator_full_face.jpg

JKJ

Here's a quote from the Grainger web site-- basically you are looking for something with an ANSI Z87.1+ rating, with the plus being the critical indicator for impact rating. You can find shields rated for more severe impact than that (like ability to stop bullets), but at the lathe if you need more protection than the Z87.1+ you probably ought to be re-evaluating what you are doing and how.

Can I use an inexpensive faceshield for impact protection? A:Both ANSI Z87.1-2010 and ANSI Z87.1-2015 categorize faceshields as either impact or non-impact. ANSI Z87.1-2010 and 2015 rated faceshields with a "+" symbol stamped on the faceshield (meaning impact rated) provide impact protection regardless of price. Manufacturer testing of visor materials indicate that polycarbonate offers the best impact protection and PETG offers the least. With this said, visors made from both polycarbonate and PETG may meet the ANSI testing standards for impact, even though polycarbonate is generally the most expensive visor material. OSHA states that “the employer must provide PPE to workers that give sufficient protection from the hazard”. Polycarbonate would be a better choice if the hazard requires a higher impact protection than PETG.

I would guess the one's used for lumberjacking would be the best, but don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Here's a quote from the Grainger web site-- basically you are looking for something with an ANSI Z87.1+ rating, with the plus being the critical indicator for impact rating. You can find shields rated for more severe impact than that (like ability to stop bullets), but at the lathe if you need more protection than the Z87.1+ you probably ought to be re-evaluating what you are doing and how.

Can I use an inexpensive faceshield for impact protection? A:Both ANSI Z87.1-2010 and ANSI Z87.1-2015 categorize faceshields as either impact or non-impact. ANSI Z87.1-2010 and 2015 rated faceshields with a "+" symbol stamped on the faceshield (meaning impact rated) provide impact protection regardless of price. Manufacturer testing of visor materials indicate that polycarbonate offers the best impact protection and PETG offers the least. With this said, visors made from both polycarbonate and PETG may meet the ANSI testing standards for impact, even though polycarbonate is generally the most expensive visor material. OSHA states that “the employer must provide PPE to workers that give sufficient protection from the hazard”. Polycarbonate would be a better choice if the hazard requires a higher impact protection than PETG.
    That's a good point. The 3M I described does have the "+" designation: Meets requirements of ANSI Z87.1 2010 for high impact (Z87+), as do the Selstrom and Bionic.

I'm an occasional turner and find safety glasses fine for tool handles & the whatnot I usually do. The Uvex Bionics seemed sturdier that the others and I have one to use if I get aggressive, but even it won't stop that much. If I find I'm wishing for more, I will find another project. But I understand I won't be doing most of those big beautiful art bowls & etc.

Lynne Yamaguchi had a serious accident and has done extensive research on face & head protection. She wrote an article: SAFETY MATTERS: From the Eye of a Survivor, and a supplement: ASSESS YOUR RISK. Which would be a good starting point to understand sturdier options.

This type of shield does not work well if you wear glasses. I have one with an air pump, filters and hose but couldn't use it as it interfered with my glasses. I was able to use the pump/filters with a 3M Versaflo shield.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Both the Bionic and the Sellstrom meet ANSI Z87.1 standards
    I have several of the Bionic shields and they do, while not necessarily feel flimsey, but feel light weight.

If you want to try something that feels quite substantial you might consider the 3M full face industrial respirator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JZ1M10
    It meets the same standards but feels very strong, like a tank compared to the Bionic. It's a respirator too, can be used with two P100 filters for dust protection. I have several of these which I mostly use when spraying chemicals, but with different filters. (It was also great for keeping smoke out of the eyes whIte cutting firebreaks in the woods!) It costs a bit more than the lightweight face shields.

Shown without filters attached.
    respirator_full_face.jpg

JKJ

Lynne Yamaguchi had a serious accident and has done extensive research on face & head protection. She wrote an article: SAFETY MATTERS: From the Eye of a Survivor, and a supplement: ASSESS YOUR RISK. Which would be a good starting point to understand sturdier options.
    +1! I don't do a lot of turning, but her account of her horrible accident remains in my mind every time I work in the shop when no one else is home (which is often). I have made it a point to always have my phone in my pocket when in the shop, and I have enabled the feature on the shop Amazon Echo that would allow me to ask Alexa to call 911 should I be unable to even use my phone.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I keep thinking a football helmet with eyeshield and lineman's style face guard. Anybody know where you can get one...cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lilley View Post
    This type of shield does not work well if you wear glasses. I have one with an air pump, filters and hose but couldn't use it as it interfered with my glasses. I was able to use the pump/filters with a 3M Versaflo shield.
    You can buy a separate glasses insert for this, though IIRC it was like $90 and then about $90 more to have prescription insert glasses made. I have dry eyes and really needed a closed unit and so I did this. overall, they work okay but the glasses often get smudged while putting the unit on, so for the price not sure I’d do it again if there was a good alternative.

I will try to post some links and pics later if anyone is interested.
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lilley View Post
    Hmm, I didn't have trouble when I tried this (the 3M full-face 6900) at the lathe while wearing glasses. Maybe some are different sizes. If anyone who lives close wants to try mine I have several types, including an older Trend with a battery powered fan.

I found the curve on the Bionic caused problems with my prescription glasses. The most popular over this side of the pond is a brand called the Armadillo, not sure if it's available over there.
    Rgds,
    Richard.
    Last edited by Richard Casey; 01-17-2020 at 4:48 AM.

David Bassett,

Thanks for posting the links re Lynn Yamaguchi. Her injury shows how devastating an injury can be and how easily it can happen, even to an experienced and safety conscious professional. To those who are searching for better head protection, take a look at the links provided above (she now wears a riot helmet, and discusses PPE standards relative to the kinetic potential of various flying objects).