Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting into Sketchup

My advice, and Ive been using SUp for a long time now,

is before you even start reading and watching videos, is sit down with someone who uses it and watch them build a model. I wish I had but when I first started learning SUp, I was learning computers at the same time making it double tough!
    WoodsShop

Woke up this New Year's Day morning early to work on one of my resolutions (to learn sketchup). I'm starting a new project, a bedroom set (two bedside tables, dresser, and bed frame) and have been making scaled drawings with pencil and paper. Thanks to all for the suggestions, will try Sketchlist3D but am leaning toward just sticking with pencil and paper. I'm (a very young!) 63, and not interested in long learning curves. I would rather spend that free time in the shop cutting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Software updates, upgrades, fixes etc....those are things I miss the least since retirement. Manual drafting does not need to be learned over and over again and it does not distract me from designing.
    Plus one...and I use CAD every work day!

I've used Sketchup free version for years. IT has a relatively easy learning curve but does have its limitations. I tried Fusion 360 and spent considerable time trying to learn it. It does have greater flexibility and, if you master it, more realistic modeling. BUT, and it's a big but, its learning curve, at least for me, was MUCH steeper. Too steep. After many weeks of study I finally gave up. I'm back to Sketchup.