Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting into Sketchup

Has anybody used Tinkercad? It’s free and pretty simple to use. I used to use it to design parts for drones to be 3D printed.

You don’t need to download anything, just log in to the website.

This thread made me have a go at getting back into SketchUp and taking a look at SketchList 3D.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with latest 64bit operating system.

First SketchList 3D would not run on this, but Dave told me they are very close to releasing a 64 bit version.

So I fired up SketchUp 2017 Make, the free version. This crapped out on me 3 times in a row after doing a couple of simple operations.

Bummed...any other recommendations? I'm a hobbyist, retired and don't mind spending up to $200 one time) for a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    This thread made me have a go at getting back into SketchUp and taking a look at SketchList 3D.

So I fired up SketchUp 2017 Make, the free version. This crapped out on me 3 times in a row after doing a couple of simple operations.
    The latest version of Sketchup still has a free option. https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-p.../sketchup-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hunt View Post
    The latest version of Sketchup still has a free option. https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-p.../sketchup-free.
    Thanks, I'm struggling through Fusion 360. Looks like a fabulous program, but it's going to take some seat time to get mildly proficient in using it. I'm going to stick with it as I have a few projects where I'd really like to get Computer Aided Drawings, rather than me going to my old drawing board and pencil.

Much like the OP I am moving from pen and paper to digital design and layout. There are variety of reasons that are driving me in that direction and I won't go into them all, but much it is convenience and customer response. Being able to fix drawings, lines, sizes, and shapes with a few strokes and keys rather an eraser, protractor, and ruler is highly desirable. I was never a great draftsman, and trying to draw things to scale with an architects ruler was a lot of work. Moreover I can show 2d drawings where all the different parts are different colors and then 3d images that can be turned in ever direction and taken apart to reveal construction, which to say is a hit with clients would be a gross understatement.

My process generally follows from lots of doodling in drawing program, ProCreate. Then a more formalized layout and design in the same drawing program, upon which I draw upon to make a 3d CAD. To further make the utility of this process more accessible in my shop and with clients, I bought an iPad pro. After very little use, the Apple pencil makes drawing effortless and quite similar in feel and feedback to a real pencil, but with all of the colors, pencils, markers, and pens in the world at my disposal.

Unfortunately though, SketchUp doesn't make an iPad app. However, after a little research I came across an amazing app made specifically for the iPad called Shapr3D. A fantastic CAD app with loads of tutorials, webinars, and support. And the reviews were strong so I pulled the trigger and signed on for the annual subscription after messing around with the academic trial version for a week. (Note -- they quickly offer a discount rate if you stall a bit on signing up for it after downloading the trial version.) Frankly, I'm loathe to buy subscriptions, I'm old enough to remember and prefer buying something once and having it forever. But the support and constant stream of webinars and new tutorials, in other words, new content, is what actually makes me not regret the purchase.

Now for the bad -- the learning curve is indeed something to consider. I had never used any sort of CAD program, so I was starting from nothing. And learning the terminology and concepts of how to make these objects was a huge challenge. And still I struggle after about 6 months of use -- entirely my own fault, because, like any technical craft, constant practice determines facility and I take weeks long breaks after designing for the builds. However, when I get back on it, I am excited by how quickly things come together and can happily attest that I would eagerly endure the entire learning process again for the benefits I have reaped from its use.

Admittedly, dropping a grand on an iPad to be able to use this app is steep, but I wanted to replace my MacBook Pro for when I travel, and the new iPads are just incredible. I'm still learning to use all of the tools, ProCreate (which is also just an incredible bit of software with an incredible history of support, tutorials, and community), shapr3d, and the iPad -- but given all the cash I've dropped for single purpose tools in my shop, this set up is definitely a valuable and extremely useful investment.

I've been using Sketchup since 2007 for designing projects. I rarely build anything these days that that I don't first build in Sketchup. I can visualize something in my head and just pull out some wood and build it but if I build it first in Sketchup I catch the mistakes I would make in real life in the 3D space without wasting material and can work out complex joinery before ever attempting it. The amount of plugins and tools that are available for Sketchup is also amazing and drawing it it just feels natural now after years of using it. Anything that I draw in Sketchup that might be helpful to someone else I share in the Sketchup 3D warehouse. That is one of the cool things about the Sketchup community is the number of other peoples drawings and components that are available to you to borrow and modify. My page is here: teetomterrific

However, I have on my to do list to also learn Fusion 360 because I want to start doing some CNC and 3D printing. It's never too late to learn something new.

I’ve been using the free version of Sketchup for years. I found it had a bit of a learning curve eased by the wealth of online tutorials. I would not spend the money to buy the pro version until I had exhausted the features of Sketchup Make (the free one). And for me the difference in moving to 3D modelling was very powerful: I even do trivial designs on Sketchup rather than drag out a ruler and eraser.

Good morning everyone. I was looking at SU for awhile, but with my very limited comprehension abilities I found it difficult. Additionally, I also have adult ADD, so thinking ahead or "outside the box" is also difficult. So, I was wondering if sketchlist would be easier for someone with limited mental abilities to comprehend. Therefore, what may seem easier for someone to learn, maybe a lot more difficult for someone who finishes last at the racetrack. Thoughts, comments are always welcome.

By 'trade', i am a software engineer and have tried the free version of Sketchup and just didn't want to deal with the learning curve. I have been using powerpoint to design for a long time and it's quick, easy and for the most part, on almost all computers that have MS Office. However Sketchlist3D looks very cool and I will need to give it a try.

Does anyone know if Sketchup/Sketchlist has any similarity to the kitchen designers program 20/20? I used 20/20 at work almost from it's inception for 20 years and was hoping that would help get me into Sketchup.

SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers - The Basics

I too tried Sketchup and struggled with the learning curve. Taunton is offering this guide, and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Kris

I don't have that book, but the author is (or was?) a member here. He has always been very generous with his time in helping others learn SketchUp or overcome difficulties they were having in modeling a project. I think he also does the SketchUp plan for Fine Woodworking (a Taunton magazine).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    I too tried Sketchup and struggled with the learning curve. Taunton is offering this guide, and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with it.

I have that disc and would recommend it. It is very basic BUT, that is just what you need till you get your head around the fact that you are creating elements and components in a 3D space, not a 3D image in 2D. As I mentioned earlier, there were a few things in this tutorial that helped me do things faster and more repeatably through learning "how" Dave was doing "what" he was doing ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

OK. Thanks to both of you - that is helpful.
    Regards,

Kris

Roger,

Check out EazyDraw by Dekorra Optics. I used MacDraw and the Claris/Appleworks programs for years and have drawn everything from woodworking projects to floor plans (good floor plan tools) using EazyDraw. I agree with you that 2D is all I need for woodworking design.