Thread: Nail Gun Not Countersinking

Nail Gun Not Countersinking

I pulled out my PC 16GA finish nailer yesterday and used it on some soft maple. I noticed that the nail heads were just above the surface so I checked the countersink dial on the nailer and set it to maximum depth. The next nails were level with the surface. I then changed the pressure on the compressor from 90 psi to 115. Now the nails are just barely countersunk. Any suggestions?

Do you oil it from time to time?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

What diameter air hose are you using?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Are you using both hands? temperature? if it is cold in your location oil gets more viscous and slows down stuff.
    Bil lD

Nail length? Material?

Blog Entries
    At the cabinet shops we ran at 125psi. At home I run the ssme. If you raise the pressure and it's countersink in you should be fine. Not sure if PC takes pneumatic as I or we or I only use Senco....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-16-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. A bit more background: I have had this gun for quite a while and it get light, intermittent use. I've never had a problem with it countersinking until now.
    The hose from the compressor to the hose reel is 1/2" and 3/8" from the reel to the gun. I dropped about 5 drops of oil in the gun and fired about 15 nails - no joy. My shop is about 66 degrees F - same conditions it's worked under before. The nails are 1 1/2" into 3/4" soft maple.
    Last edited by Ken Krawford; 01-17-2020 at 12:52 PM.

You might check your air line for water.