Thread: Refrigerated air cooler

Refrigerated air cooler

Free for the taking. No shipping. Zurn General Air Division
    Model R10A mfg. 3/85
    110v single phase, 11.2 amps 50 scfm
    Iíve no idea if it works or not. It was given to me and I never even plugged it in. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAC7C100-EB32-4673-8D3D-90690F95E561.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	423786
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Just thought I’d give this a bump before I haul it off to the dump

That's about the size of mine, but mine is not nearly that old, and uses a more modern refrigerant. R12 is very expensive now, but can be replaced with a much cheaper R12a. An HVAC guy should be able to test it pretty easily, but I don't know any of them that use R12a. The compressor probably needs to be replaced. They're really pretty simple.

That old, it's probably way overbuilt, so might still be okay.

I'm not familiar with Zurn, but Speedaire, the manufacturer of mine, offers a rebuild kit for about a hundred dollars that includes a new automatic drain valve, and a few other parts that typically wear out.

It's not an air cooler. It's an air dryer.

Oops I knew it is a dryer. Don’t know why I said cooler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Oops I knew it is a dryer. Don’t know why I said cooler
    This could be handy for someone in a humid environment.

One of the members in the Neanderthal forum was asking about humidity control.

Maybe a note from me will get him interested.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don’t think it would work as a room dehumidifier. It doesn’t really have a blower it needs compressed air passing through it.

I wouldn't want to be without mine.

I have one tractor that has an air conditioning system that originally had an R12 system. We replaced the compressor, and tried R12a. I can't believe it would have run cooler with R12. You just have to use a lot less, and weigh the proper amount going in relative to what the system called for in R12. It's also much better for the atmosphere, if it leaks out, with a life of one year, versus 120 years (or something close to that).
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-16-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I would gladly pay shipping if it can ship, but the ones I have seen were pretty big.

This thing is big and heavy enough it would need a pallet plus not being sure whether or not it works I wouldn’t want anyone to put money into shipping

I think it's probably the same size as mine. Just guessing that mine weighs 150 lbs., and is about three feet long, 30" high, and maybe not quite 2' wide.

It would be hard to say what parts it needs without a good HVAC person checking it out. Does it have built in ports to hook up a gauge set to? Mine worked when I got it, so I never went looking to see what kind of ports it has. They can be added into existing lines, but I would prefer them to already be there. Most modern refrigerators don't have the ports, but I don't know about air dryers, or what was commonly used in 1985. My 1985 tractor has them, but they aren't the kind that quick-connects hook onto, like more modern automotive air conditioning systems.

I wish you were closer. I have the HVAC license and could likely get it working quite easily. My refrigerated air dryer came from a large multi color offset printing press and was originally 1/2 of a combination air compressor/refrigerated dryer unit that supported the press. When the air compressor died beyond an easy fix they were dumping the whole unit. I was able to remove the dryer from the cabinet, trash the cabinet and air compressor, and install the dryer next to my 80 gal 5 hp air compressor, but it has no cabinet, just an open frame. It also has R-12 refrigerant, which isn't a problem, as long as there are no leaks. If I ever need to scrap it, I'll recover the R-12 for use elsewhere. Being licensed, and with the proper equipment, it's easy for me to do this legally.

Charley