Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy January weather

Crazy January weather

Just got back in after doing a 3rd or 4th final leaf cleanup of the year. The mild weather in central ohio this past month has been incredible. I weeded grass and other actively growing weeds out of the landscape today, including a dandelion that was starting a flower bud. The lawn is still growing, albeit very slowly.

If you are a fan of winter snow, which I am, I guess I put the jinx on the weather when I upgraded my snow blower back in December, 2018. I told my wife when I bought it that, given my luck, it wouldn't snow anymore. ...As it turns out, I've only used it twice for minor snowfalls since then.

So, if you're missing the winter weather, it was me. ..My Bad..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Same weather here mid-atlantic. If your a fan of fruit trees your likely going to have no fruit this year. My guess is they will all bud and get whacked by a february cold snap. I am one who either wants the weather to be like this (warm, some sun, chance for things to dry out, some blue sky) or for it to sock in dead cold and freeze up and stay that way.

Rural area here and the yo-yo weather makes for a lot of mud and soft ground, grey dreary days, the woods look like death. But if its some blue sky and sun its still nice, and if its white winter, its nice.

50's and 60's in mid January is rare and its looking to hold out into the late part of January.

I was just out cleaning the truck. On the sunny side of the house, sheltered from the wind, it is probably 55 degrees. Out on the hay field, it is probably 45, still 10 degrees warm for this time of year., However, the weather lady on the local channel tells us 4 to 7 inches of snow Saturday with a series of cold windy days thereafter. Highs right about freezing (which is still just normal.) I get leery of years like this with warm Januarys. usually means cold wet snowy February and March, even into April. We has a slush storm last week that caught everybody off guard. For some reason my 4wd wouldn't work on the truck, which was no big deal, but the garage can't fit me in until after the next snow. Not that I have anywhere to go, but Mrs. still works and freaks out about missing any time from her job at the hospital. She misses part of a shift and she must make it up, loses bonus, etc. She is already planning on going in for the entire weekend. Started packing her bags. She claims missing part of a shift will cost a couple grand so she definitely does not want to miss any time. I can remember when 7 inches of snow would not even cause me to cancel a trip. I actually saw a dandelion bud yesterday out in the yard. maybe thats a good thing.

I mowed the lawn the today

Unseasonably warm here in Central TX, too. I was doing my annual pruning back of dead perennial shrubs last weekend and some had already started to send up new shoots for the year. Crazy.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Enjoy it, Earthlings. This place is too hot for some of us. Soon as I get my ship thrust dial adjusted ...I'm outa here.
    Hundred years ago it nice and cool here. What's going on...

Feel free to swing up to MN this weekend. Forecast is 8-13 inches on Friday, and you're welcome to clear my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    Feel free to swing up to MN this weekend. Forecast is 8-13 inches on Friday, and you're welcome to clear my driveway.
    Indeed.
    Though we've had a warmer, milder winter so far also.

Blog Entries
    This morning is was -37C and the high is supposed to be -27C. The average for this time of year is -3C.

For those of you in the midwest, I guess it's your year for a milder winter this year. Normally that is us, but not this year. We got a foot of snow over the weekend, and more is expected this week and next. When I left for work this morning it was 14 degrees, and it was 18 degrees at noon. The snow got so hard and frozen in our driveway (after the city plowed us in) that we couldn't shovel or snowblow it, so we hired a friend of my wife's family to plow it with his pickup. Best $20 we've spent all winter.

Derek

We had a mild winter until this past Sunday. I live in the Snake River/Clearwater River canyon (the confluence in town separates Lewiston, ID from Clarkston, WA), often called "The Banana Belt". Retired farmers/ranchers from the prairies north and south of here often retire in the valley. It's not unusual to go without snow in the winter here and golfers from Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene Idaho often visit in the winter to use one of our 5 golf courses. Sunday evening a front moved in with temperatures and snow. This morning at 0730 when I was collecting the garbage to put out for collection on the street it was 19º F and we have 4 1/2" of snow. Last week it was in the 40's and 50's which is unusually warm for this time of year.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We don't have any Winter grasses in the pastures, but the horses are grazing on green grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We don't have any Winter grasses in the pastures, but the horses are grazing on green grass.
    Same here - pastures are getting green. Some flowers are blooming here.

This is a composite of pictures I make around our farm in 2017. The date was mid February.

2017_Feb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    Sure! Be right up.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Earlier this week (maybe last) it was 70 degrees in Boston while it snowed in Dallas the same day. Several years ago, at Southern Farm Show in Raleigh, there was a crew from Canada. Guys here were freezing, while crew back in Canada was playing golf on the same day