Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sliding compound miter saw

Sliding compound miter saw

Hi, I have an older 12” dual laser non sliding delta miter saw that works great for my woodworking in the shop as it’s nice and accurate. I am getting ready to install some large crown molding and hardwood floor throughout my house and my parents house. The problem is my current saw does not have the capacity for the crown I want to install. From everything I have read it sounds like a sliding saw is a lot better to cut Pre finished engineered wood flooring as a normal miter will wear the blades down a lot quicker by coming straight down on the hard finish of the flooring. With that said I think I’ll keep my existing delta in the shop for it’s accuracy as it does not seem like any of the sliders are as accurate besides maybe the Festool. Unfortunately the Festool does not have the capacity for the crown molding I need.

It seems like there is not a stand out 12” slider that I can find. Some like the Bosch, some like the Dewalt and everything else in between. I wanted to see what you guys are using and see if there is a preference for one of them over the others. I really like the dual laser on my delta so I want one with some sort of laser or led shadow setup as a requirement. So what do you guys think? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    What size crown? I have a Dewalt 708 so I wouldn't trade for a Bosch but I hear today's Bosch on all conversations vs the newer Dewalts...
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-15-2020 at 7:29 AM.

The Dewalt DW780 will handle almost anything you can throw at it. It holds a tune very well and much better than anything else outside of Festool or Omega. For a stand I would get the Dewalt and build your own extension wings. The only other miter saws that I would own are the new 12” sliding Makita, the 12” sliding Milwaukee or the Festool or even the Omega if I could afford one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Coker View Post
    The Dewalt DW780 will handle almost anything you can throw at it. It holds a tune very well and much better than anything else outside of Festool or Omega. For a stand I would get the Dewalt and build your own extension wings. The only other miter saws that I would own are the new 12” sliding Makita, the 12” sliding Milwaukee or the Festool or even the Omega if I could afford one.

You sure?.... I use a 780 at work and I wouldnt trade my 708 for it on any day. Motor went out within three months on the 780.....

On almost every conversation the Bosch has been recommended. I always thought the milwaukee was good too but the Bosch again is always recommended...

Was it the price between the two milwaukee or the Bosch the reason they recommend it?

I'm a carpenter, we have two or three crews, so I have lots of tools. 4 scms are working at the moment, 2 Makita and 3 Dewalts. There is also an old Hitachi that needs some help, and 6(?) non sliders. We change them out pretty regularly and share other saws with other crews, so I get to use a lot of different saws, Bosch, Kapex, Milwaukee, etc. Has to be strong enough to move without losing it's settings, light enough to fairly easily move, and first and foremost, be accurate. My favorite has always been a Makita LS1013, but as you want a 12" blade, the best one of those that I've come across is the Dewalt 12" Flexvolt 120 volt MAX saw. I don't know what the number is, but it is a good machine. It's corded or cordless, and I think it's a better machine than the corded model. Better motor.

Personally, I prefer 10" though. Blades are cheaper, less blade deflection, and I've never come across something that the 12" capacity would cut that the 10" just wasn't quite big enough for. One of the most used saws I have is actually a 7 1/4" slider.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    What size crown? I have a Dewalt 708 so I wouldn't trade for a Bosch but I hear today's Bosch on all conversations vs the newer Dewalts...
    Not trading my 708 for any other one either!

Ok, here's my 2 cents. I've had 1 Makita, 2 Dewalts and currently the Bosch Glide. Overall l like the Bosch best but using it strictly in a shop setting. If I was dragging miters around on job sites, it would still be Dewalt 708's. Bosch saw is more quarter horse, Dewalt more work mule.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'm a carpenter, we have two or three crews, so I have lots of tools. 4 scms are working at the moment, 2 Makita and 3 Dewalts. There is also an old Hitachi that needs some help, and 6(?) non sliders. We change them out pretty regularly and share other saws with other crews, so I get to use a lot of different saws, Bosch, Kapex, Milwaukee, etc. Has to be strong enough to move without losing it's settings, light enough to fairly easily move, and first and foremost, be accurate. My favorite has always been a Makita LS1013, but as you want a 12" blade, the best one of those that I've come across is the Dewalt 12" Flexvolt 120 volt MAX saw. I don't know what the number is, but it is a good machine. It's corded or cordless, and I think it's a better machine than the corded model. Better motor.

Personally, I prefer 10" though. Blades are cheaper, less blade deflection, and I've never come across something that the 12" capacity would cut that the 10" just wasn't quite big enough for. One of the most used saws I have is actually a 7 1/4" slider.

Carpenter or trim carpenter or both?..... Big difference....

The reason I ask as my step father was a retired union carpenter out of St Louis. The man could figure rafters on the ground unlike to days carpenter's. But as good as he was he would ignore trimming questions and would change the subject. He worked on the arch in St Louis and work on several dams over his years. But a trim carpenter he was not...
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-15-2020 at 9:22 AM.

Carpenter or trim carpenter or both?..... Big difference....

The reason I ask as my step father was a retired union carpenter out of St Louis. The man could figure rafters on the ground unlike to days carpenter's. But as good as he was he would ignore trimming questions and would change the subject. He worked on the arch in St Louis and work on several dams over his years. But a trim carpenter he was not...
    Depending on the day, both. I suppose you are thinking of accuracy. Framing is of course a different level of it. Some saws are dedicated framing only, some are good to do both, usually different blades though.

Flying through framing with a good crew is a blast, so is hanging perfectly cut crown molding. Saw has to enable both to have a place in my shop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Depending on the day, both. I suppose you are thinking of accuracy. Framing is of course a different level of it. Some saws are dedicated framing only, some are good to do both, usually different blades though.

Flying through framing with a good crew is a blast, so is hanging perfectly cut crown molding. Saw has to enable both to have a place in my shop.
    Questionable.....I know trim carpenters and cabinet makers that build houses but I've not found many framers that can trim or build cabinets...

Questionable.....I know trim carpenters and cabinet makers that build houses but I've not found many framers that can trim or build cabinets...
    If you are skeptical that I can do both, see the pics. The first is what I'm doing right now, second is of a bathroom I just did. I was a woodworker before a carpenter.
    15791229778802286210690375237805.jpg

20190923_154217.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did it all too, when I was building new houses. The only thing I didn't do was install the HVAC equipment, because I knew that would eventually break down, and I didn't want to be called about fixing something. Got my plumbing, and electrical licenses in 1975. Never had a callback.

Using two helpers, that no one else would hire, I'd start a house in the Fall, finish the inside over the Winter, dress up the outside in Spring, sell it, and take the Summer off to play.

The first few years, I'd get as far as finishing the outside, without wiring, or pipes in one, and sell it. By the 33rd year, using the same size crew, I could have a million dollar plus finished house for sale in the Spring. I never bought cabinets, or used a prehung door.

I built my last new house in 2007. I had never used a real estate agent to sell one, never put a price on one until I was ready to sell it, and never sat on one for over two weeks once I put a price on it. I didn't want to have one for sale in the upcoming 2008 though, so started just working on old, historic houses.

The framing just made the rest of it go smoothly, as did the proper footings to start with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also have a Dewalt 708 & would not trade it for anything that I have seen. I'm amazed how long it stays accurate. I use a Forrest Chopmaster and get a great, accurate cut.

Jack not sure yet but the ceilings are 9-12’ in parts of the house so thinking larger like 6-8” but I may go multi part crown so individually they could be smaller. Looking to have the larger capacity so I don’t run into an issue depending on what the wife picks style wise. Thanks

I have a DW780 and I believe it has the same motor as the 708. The 780 matched with DeWalt’s rolling table makes the saw easy to roll around. I think it has a broader range and sawing capacity. My only criticism is that it is very heavy to roll off a pickup by yourself. The 708 is lighter I think.

For DeWalt only, I’d use the 780 for a shop and the 708 for the field. I also have the Hitachi C12 slider for the shop and love it. It stays in tune for years and is easy to tune up if the fence gets out of whack.
    Regards,

Tom