Thread: starrett square restoration

starrett square restoration

I've been building a shed and used my starrett square while doing it. One too many times i left it outside with my tools when it was too damp and it's got some rust, worst on the protractor head. What's the most gentle way to remove it? Is soaking in vinegar strong enough without causing pitting like the boeshield rust remover would do? How do i enhance the markings again? Are they just painted black?

If the rust is light, I've used a deburring wheel to remove the rust. I've never gotten one of my combination squares rusty enough to use something like EvapoRust.

Can't help with the rule. Never had one really bad rusted.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If it's just light surface rust, grey Scotch-Brite and a little elbow grease will make it like new.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you really want to give it a new look and life, send it back to Starrett for refurbishment.

Found a high quality square at a flea market a couple of years ago, with a light rust coating. Fine steel wool and WD-40 will do the trick. Try not to get too aggressive with a wire wheel on the grinder if that is what you will use.

My Starrett squares have a wonderful satin finish which is easy to read. I’m imagining anything moderately abrasive would affect that surface. Maybe gentle random sanding with 600 or finer grit paper?