Thread: Buck Brothers Trade Mark

Blog Entries

Buck Brothers Trade Mark

A lot of Buck Brothers chisels and carving tools have found their way into my accumulation of woodworking tools. Today while working on a carving project my attention was drawn to one carving gouge in particular that has caught my eye before. It is the top one in this image:

Buck Brothers Marks.jpg

This mark is inside half of an oval. Most likely a weak stamp. What is odd about this gouge is there is also a mark on the back side:

Buck Brothers Marks 2.jpg

The buck's head trade mark started being used in the 1870s. The dual marking on this tool makes me think it came from the time their trade mark was being changed.

Somewhere there are another couple of tools with different Buck Brothers marks, but they weren't on the bench today.

jtk

-- Oops sorry, forgot to rotate the images before posting them.
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-14-2020 at 8:00 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot…
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very cool Jim! I think it's great having and using vintage tools especially with little details like that. Nice.

Those old buck Bros are great my favourite chisel is an old (not quite as old as those ones though) 1 1/2 pairing socket chisel . If your interested heres a link to some Buck Bros Chisel catalogues going back to the 1880s. The archive actually thousands off tool catalogues going back to the mid 18th century covering all sorts of stuff lots of sheffield saws, disstons, various chisel makers.

https://archive.org/search.php?query...others+Inc.%22

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link Gareth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)