So I saw a youtube video recently about dowel joinery which reminded me that I've seen almost no discussion of it. It appears to fill a similar niche to the Festool domino, while not requiring a very expensive unitasker. It also appears to be stronger than pocket holes, or biscuits and fill a similar niche.

I just assembled a few simple panel glue ups with it, using this cheap jig, and it appears to have worked as well as biscuits or dominions for doing alignment, with the advantage that it appears to add strength in a way that biscuits do not. If you don't want to spend the $20 for the jig, there are instructions in this video on how to make your own.

Any ideas why dowels don't get much attention, while pocket holes, and more traditional joinery techniques, such as dovetails, and mortise and tenon appear to be all the rage? Is there a serious draw back that makes the domino the superior tool for this? I'm guessing the domino makes a stronger joint, but not sure by how much, and how significant that difference is.