Thread: HP 6520 printer

Blog Entries

HP 6520 printer

Are there any good brands for self refill kits?The printer has sat and needs new cartridges but I think I'd rather refill them myself for manuals,etc...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Are there any good brands for self refill kits?The printer has sat and needs new cartridges but I think I'd rather refill them myself for manuals,etc...
    You may have a dry print head. My HP 6500 did this and the print head had to be taken out to be soaked and cleaned. It was easy and the instructions were found via search online.

Costco refills the cartridges at a decent cost and they had a price sheet of the cost.

One of the office supply stores also refills them but doesn't have a price sheet to let one know before hand. From the one time witnessing a customer go ballistic when they told her the price at pick up, my guess is they do not do it at a reasonable price.

One more thing, my printer stopped working at one time. HP tech support was worse than useless. The rep's main reply was maybe it was time to purchase a new printer. It wasn't even 3 years old at the time. Turns out there was a problem with the yellow ink cartridge. Since then my research found that the yellow ink cartridge prints a micro dot pattern on every page printed so Homeland Security can find the sender of threatening letters. It has been almost a decade since and the printer is still working.

It sure didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings about HP's tech support.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-14-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The printer ink ran out so we haven't used it in a couple years. The reason I'm looking into refilling hem myself. I think Walgreens is $18 for a squirting of ink. I think I'll try it myself. ...

Blog Entries
    I go to Best Buy to get my printer ink. There may be other issues with your printer.

Blog Entries
    It ran out of ink. No issues...

Blog Entries
    Your favorite site should be able to answer your question very quickly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just go to Amazon and buy off-brand ink. Been doing it for years with a cheap Canon printer. The first year I spent like $14 every other month for another cartridge, in the 4 or so years since, I've spent $27 total, and I still have over a dozen cartridges left! -not only are they 10x cheaper, they put more ink in 'em. And I've only had 1 yellow cartridge not work, all others a-ok.

There's several ads on Amazon for ink for your machine, 10-packs (2 each of colors, 4 each black) for less than $20, free shipping in your hands tomorrow... And your hands won't be covered in ink from a refilling 'oops'
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I've given up on trying to keep an inkjet running. I'd be lucky to get two printing sessions done on a set of refilled cartridges. My printing cost was over $1 per page and it was frustrating to say the least. Now I drop the pages/images onto a USB flash drive and head to FedEx/Kinkos. It cost 0$0.11 per page for their state-of-the-art printer.

I doubt you will be able to refill cartridges that have sat for several years. Even though they wouldn't print anymore they probably have enough ink left to dry up and plug the cartridges.

Most printers now have chips to limit use of non-OEM cartridges. I gave up on generic toner cartridges for my Xerox printer after I had to warranty the generic toner cartridges multiple times due to chip issues after about six months.