Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washing machine longevity advice please

Washing machine longevity advice please

For about 6 months now I’ve known my old 1993 Maytag was dying. It leaks, and the mobile repair guru said “usable, but start looking”. The repair cost was estimated to be close to a new machine’s cost.
    He suggested a Whirlpool direct drive washer, although the better models he said, were last made in 2010.
    Although I’ve always had a top loader, I really don’t care. I want long term reliability.
    We’re a family of 5 still at home, with regular washing of one load daily, and some days 4 loads.
    I’ve seen almost universal reports to pass on the Samsung, but those were new.
    I can feel the vibration of the old machine on the second floor during the spin cycle; it’s time to replace. Any advice?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

We bought a new Samsung washer and dryer set about 6 years ago on the advice of an appliance repairman. They have been great, wife likes using them, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    For about 6 months now I’ve known my old 1993 Maytag was dying. It leaks, and the mobile repair guru said “usable, but start looking”. The repair cost was estimated to be close to a new machine’s cost.
    He suggested a Whirlpool direct drive washer, although the better models he said, were last made in 2010.
    Although I’ve always had a top loader, I really don’t care. I want long term reliability.
    We’re a family of 5 still at home, with regular washing of one load daily, and some days 4 loads.
    I’ve seen almost universal reports to pass on the Samsung, but those were new.
    I can feel the vibration of the old machine on the second floor during the spin cycle; it’s time to replace. Any advice?
    "They don't make them like they used to" is so true, as appliances like this have become a disposable commodity. Maybe your repair guy wants a guaranteed income? :^) If it were me, I'd have it repaired, or learn to repair it myself. "Homor the timeless classics."

We got a Whirlpool 'Duets' front loader set in 2013, just the basic models, they look and work like brand new still. I get a kick out of how the washer sounds like a flying saucer when the spin dry is spooling up. And even when the wife has the thing full of rugs, when it's spin-drying at 1200 rpm, I can balance a nickel on top of the thing, which amazes me. Speaking of flying saucer noises, I've always had a keen sense of noticing when things start sounding different than normal, and neither the washer or dryer has ever made an abnormal noise. I figure they got at least another 7 years left in 'em.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My friend, an "appliance guy" said to get Speed Queen--commercial grade durability, and dead simple. We replaced our laundry center (a legacy machine from our last, very small home), with a Whirlpool set that was about $1000 (electric dryer) last year. No bells and whistles. My friend told me that was about the second best option out there. The Speed Queen set would have been about $2500, which I would consider, but it wasn't in the budget at the time.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I had my front load Electrolux apart the other day to clean the boot that seals the door to the drum (apparently you're supposed to clean that regularly, not once every 5 years, who knew?) and was surprised at the amount of concrete involved in modern washing machines. It has been a good washer considering the low price.

I am still waiting for them to make a gas washer/dryer unit. All the current washer/dryer units are non vented which does not really work in winter. The last gas washer dryer units were made around 1960.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    "They don't make them like they used to" is so true
    And thank goodness! My current front loaders are much quieter and use a small fraction of the water, detergent & energy of what the old set did.

We have LG SteamWasher and LG SteamDryer front loaders with the pedestals. They have performed well for us and the capacities are very large. With the washer, it's important to do the normal maintenance which includes draining the overflow screen system and wiping out the seal as well as periodically running the cleaning cycle with bleach. We also leave the door open to further prevent any chance of mildew, etc. Our units are on the second floor and unless someone puts a "remarkably" unbalanced load in the washer, there's little vibration. We do limit spin speed to "medium" which also helps with that and is more than adequate for anything we ever wash.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    We have LG SteamWasher and LG SteamDryer front loaders with the pedestals...
    We've had the exact same models since around 2014 and no issues so far. The washers does tend to walk around slightly if I do something like a large blanket but it hasn't been an issue. Like Jim mentioned, there is actually a soft stop which keeps the washer door slightly cracked, so you don't get mildew. Took me a while to figure that out.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Difficult to tell who actually makes what. I think Whirlpool and Maytag are the same company now, and maybe same factory. Our Kenmore is made by Electrolux. There's a cost/longevity breakpoint that you have to weigh. We go to Consumer Reports for their brand reliability ratings for major appliances.

We had to put water hammer arrestors on the washer because of the terrible banging that goes on at start up (several rapid open and closing of valves). Yes we also didn't find the soft stop door feature to prevent mildew until late.

we buy used from a big warehouse in a shady part of town, they have a big line where they fix dishwashers, washers, dryers and stoves, and distribute to rental companies, apartment complexes, used appliance stores. We have a set of Kenmore front loaders that cost us 600 for both about 4 years ago and they are going well. did have to replace the belt tensioner in the dryer, but that was not a big deal.

they don't do fridges. say it's not worth it. we buy used sub zeros and get them fixed if needed. cheaper than a nice new fridge, and will last twice as long.

I bought my washer and dryer back in 1995 and they still are going strong. I worked in construction and had 2 kids that were home and did about a load a day. I got the set from Sams club they were the Estate elcheapo at that time. No fancy electronics.

We're using a Kenmore for the last ten years that came free, well almost free, from CL. Owner had "worked on it," putting new drive block in. He snapped the fingers that hold motor in place into the windings. End of story. I purchased a used motor from CL for $40. This was a much more deluxe version of out old washer. Took our old washer ( early eighties Kenmore) and use it at Campers on Mission at State Fair, when for two weeks it runs from early in the morning to well into the night each year. Check and see if your Maytag is actually a Whirlpool (same as a Kenmore.) If so, just replace damaged parts, which can be purchased online. Most leaks are around the pump shaft. Pumps can be gotten off Ebay for less than $20. Don't worry about them being made in China - They all are. Both E Replacemnt and Appliance Clinic have videos showing how to do this, it's not rocket science.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-14-2020 at 1:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I bought my washer and dryer back in 1995 and they still are going strong. I worked in construction and had 2 kids that were home and did about a load a day. I got the set from Sams club they were the Estate elcheapo at that time. No fancy electronics.
    Estate is a Whirlpool brand. Same innards, just a different name plate.