Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washing machine longevity advice please

We recently bought a Speed Queen TR5 and so far we like it.

Blog Entries
    The last gas washer dryer units were made around 1960.
    My dad had a gas washer. It had a pull cord to start the motor.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When we bought our house in 1994 there was a Sears Kenmore heavy duty washer with a nice gentle cycle my wife likes. Kenmore dryer also. It was made in 1979 or so.
    I just keep repairing it as Bruce does. I just hope it keeps on going,, as the newer stuff doesn't impress me with the reliability issues.

For a while I was buying used appliances and actually had pretty decent luck. I bought them from our appliance repair man he backed them for a year.

The issue with non-commercial washers is the motor/transmission is one unit. If anything happens its usually not cost effective to fix.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend them, but we've had pretty good luck with LG appliances. We currently have LG front loaders no issues so far about 4 years in service, but not used heavily. Very high tech, very "electronic". We bought the 5 years service plan. PS if you go with front loaders, I highly recommend the drawer bases.

30 years ago our first washer was a Norge (on a par with SQ don't think they make them anymore). The dryer quit after about 10 years but the washer never quit the only reason we got a new one was the top was starting to rust - almost 25 years later. Never had a service call even once.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    For about 6 months now I’ve known my old 1993 Maytag was dying. It leaks,
    That's what ours did.
    We went with another Maytag. A Bravos XL MCT (Maytag Commercial Technology. Top loader
    Direct drive with variable speed motor. 3ph? Very quiet and well built. Reasonably priced.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

We had Bosch front loader for a little over 2 years and had constant problems with the spin, not draining, having it lock up and not being able to reset. My wife was really unhappy and I finally had enough and we bought a top loader...an LG. Clothes come out cleaner with larger loads and ZERO problems and a happy wife.

Speed queen all the way. When we bought our house it came with Samsung front loader. Our clothes came out still dirty and musty smelling. We bought the Speed queen to replace it. We have a Speed queen at work for washing uniforms. It gets used heavily and doesn't break down. If it ever did, the repairman is three miles away at the appliance store.

When our Maytag set gave out 2 years ago, we tried to get it fixed and the independent repairman told us it would not be worth it, too costly.

We asked what he would buy, and he said definitely Speed Queen, and just get the one with the least bells and whistles, because that is what is very expensive.

So we did just what he recommended.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    We bought our GE Profile washer and dryer when we moved here back in '08. The washer had one call while in warrantee. The dryer needed new drum bearing pads and rear bearing replacement twice. This was simple for me to do. There was a problem with the venting motor and control that required the shop to replace it.

If they do need replacement in the future, we will look for something else.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Laundermat near me remodeled and installed "Dexter" brand machines. Seems to be an old USA made brand. They look equal to Speed Queen commercial at least a quick glance through the window looks good.
    Bill D

Our Bosch front-loader is probably 12-15 years old. Showing its age, getting a little noisy while spinning now, but still going despite years of use and abuse. Bosch doesn't seem to make many washers now - just a couple of compact models. The 2020 Consumer Reports Buying Guide gives LG the highest scores for reliability.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 01-15-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Our Maytags are 23 years old, and get used a lot. Not the slightest glitch .
    Thats why the Maytag repair man is "the loneliest guy in town"

As Sam's Club, Costco and home centers have gotten into the home appliance business it's become a race to to the bottom, and major appliances have become commodities to be replaced every few years. This trend started about 10 or 15 years ago. When we started doing research on W/Ds when we built our new house, reading the reviews on most everything out there only reinforced this. We wanted a vertical washer with an agitator, the ability to bypass the "eco" cycle (which attempts to wash a full load with a cup and a half of water) and a gas dryer We ended up going with Speed Queen. I initially wanted the "non electronic" version but the salesman (who also owned the store) pointed out the electronic version had a five year warranty, but the regular model only had a 3 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    "They don't make them like they used to" is so true, as appliances like this have become a disposable commodity. Maybe your repair guy wants a guaranteed income? :^) If it were me, I'd have it repaired, or learn to repair it myself. "Homor the timeless classics."
    The color thing has really changed appliances . Our neighborhood chat site has always got free or real cheap appliances.
    Especially dish washers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Our Maytags are 23 years old, and get used a lot. Not the slightest glitch .
    Thats why the Maytag repair man is "the loneliest guy in town"
    Don't think if you buy one now that you'll get the same quality. Maytag, like Kitchenaid, used to be a very good appliance brand. Now they're definitely in the lower end for durablilty.