Thread: Is Poly Poly or is there an actual difference?

Is Poly Poly or is there an actual difference?

So, is polyurethane polyurethane regardless of the manufacturer, or are their important differences between the various brands? I realize that this can cover a lot of different products, including varnish, shellac, and poly-acrylic, so it this is just about products labeled as polyurethane.

Also if there is a difference, is one product better than others for use on furniture, to be used in a home, and subject to normal wear and tear from usage?

No poly is not poly. Yes one is better/different.

Better is really a function of what you are trying to achieve. Understand the benefits and limitations of each product and you will know which one is better for what you are trying to achieve.

Sorry for a somewhat cryptic answer, but you asked a broad open ended question. If you provided some more specific on what you are trying to finish, we can be more helpful.

Finishes made with polyurethane resin come in many "flavors" and as such have different properties. And individual people have opinions about what's "best", too.

I honestly rarely even use something that's "poly" other than for floors or because I need something quick from a retail store for an odd-ball project, etc. (hard to buy anything that isn't polyurethane in most retail stores)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff norris 2011 View Post
    Sorry for a somewhat cryptic answer, but you asked a broad open ended question. If you provided some more specific on what you are trying to finish, we can be more helpful.
    Fair enough, I did try to limit it a bit. Right now I'm working on a pair on monitor stands from red oak. I've applied a coat of oil based minwax red chestnut. I plan on spraying the finish. I was thinking about going with a couple of coats of General Finish's Enduro-var through a HVLP gun. I've read the directions and plan on waiting the recommend 4-5 days after applying the stain to apply the enduro-finish.

I picked up the enduro-var because I like the idea of a hard wearing varnish, I've heard good things about General Finish products, and the instructions say it can be shot through a spray gun. I like the idea of a spray gun since I think it's going to give a smoother, more even coat than a brushed finish.

@Jim - What do you typically use for a protective film finish on furniture that's going to used day in and day out?

Part of the reason I'm drawn to poly is because the big box home improvement stores are 5 minutes away, and the nearest Rockler is 30 minutes. IF there is little to no difference, I might as well use min-wax or whatever they have available. If there is a difference I don't have a problem with driving the extra distance.
    Last edited by Andrew More; 01-13-2020 at 10:21 PM.

If you're going to spay...use the Enduro-Var for sure. Water borne finishes (which are acrylics) are ideal for spraying because they dry fast. Spraying oil based finishes, such as the stuff from the box store, is a THANKLESS task. Finishes that have long dry times leave a sticky mess with overspray and you cannot recoat them as soon, meaning potentially many instances of cleaning your gun which wastes finish and solvents. If you find you must use the quickly available varnish/poly products from the box store, wiping or brushing is best for application.

I generally use Target Coatings products; largely out of habit and satisfaction with them over time. I'd likely be just as happy with the General Finishes products, too. For projects where extra durability is required, I have used the EM8000cv with a cross-linker. Most of my work gets EM6000/EM7000hb/EM6500 (the latter is solid colors tinted to spec). I have used GF "milk paint" which is actually an acrylic very similar to the Target EM6500 and a very nice finish. I have not yet tried the Target EM9300 which is a polyester urethane with UV protection and can be used for both indoor and outdoor projects.

I do not have stores like Rockler or even "independent" woodworking stores around here, despite this being the greater Philadelphia area. The closest Woodcraft is 55 miles up in Allentown PA. Needless to say, that means I order stuff in.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you're going to spay...use the Enduro-Var for sure. Water borne finishes (which are acrylics) are ideal for spraying because they dry fast. Spraying oil based finishes, such as the stuff from the box store, is a THANKLESS task. Finishes that have long dry times leave a sticky mess with overspray and you cannot recoat them as soon, meaning potentially many instances of cleaning your gun which wastes finish and solvents. If you find you must use the quickly available varnish/poly products from the box store, wiping or brushing is best for application.
    Thanks, good to know I've got a winner. I hear you about leaving things open while drying, sounds like a real pain. I've also got a few paint stores around here, and tried the fast drying varnish from Sherwin Williams, which seems decent.

I also managed to get some sort of mystery varnish in a gallon container last time I went to one of their stores. Employee brought it from the back, and it had a beautiful glass like finish, but stank for a couple of weeks. Decided not to use any more since I didn't want to deal with the smell, plus whatever horrible things it was doing to my body, even with a mask.