Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable spray booth ideas

Portable spray booth ideas

Looking for some ideas from my fellow creeker's. I do a bit of spraying, both furniture and motorcycle parts and I'm in a new shop, so looking for some good ideas on a portable spray booth.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Cheapest thing to do is buy some disposable drop cloths and hang them up. If you've got a dedicated shop, and exposed rafts you can use clamps or staples. If you have drywall, you can use ZipWall or whatever DIY system you come up with. (I built some using 2x4s with 10# weights on the bases.

You can use a box fan with some filters on the intake side as a filter. Either duct tape, or bungie cord the filters to the fan, and put tape over any parts not covered.

Don't have a portable, but I've built two temporary booths in the past.

Using 2" x 4" x 8', covered with heavy plastic sheeting. The floor was the cheapest clip together hardwood flooring. On my first one, where I sprayed bodywork for my Ducati 1299S and a friends GSXR1000R, I also bought a 32", cheap screen door, and covered that with intake filters.

I modified it later to add another intake filter, not shown in the picture below. I would open the garage door, half way, when painting.

For my seconds booth, I was spraying house paint and found very little issue with dust and bugs etc.. when I sprayed my bike, I went with a 3 1/2 sided version while I sprayed wooden Plantation Shutters.

I covered this opening up about 50%, so i could walk in and out with wet parts easily, as I painted about 30 rails and stiles and 240 louvers.

When finished, I disposed of about $60 worth of material on the first booth and just the plastic on the second one.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-13-2020 at 5:13 PM.

Portable Idea.

Here a picture from another forum, so its someone else's design. It has 2 box fans in the back, And I would think its super light to store away. Panels are hinged together but pins can be pulled to knocked it down. I'm not sure if I can post/be appropriate to post the web site name or not?

spray-booth_lead_1.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Korstrom; 01-13-2020 at 5:32 PM.

I would think this would be the best option sand is reasonably priced. https://www.eagleamerica.com/product...shing_supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I would think this would be the best option sand is reasonably priced. https://www.eagleamerica.com/product...shing_supplies
    I would find that frustrating unless I had the workpiece also on a turntable/lazy-Susan. Also, while it's a nice option for "containing" overspray for smaller projects. it has no provisions for actually ventilating. I can only imagine something thinking they can use this with spray-can paint, especially since the photo shows no use of personal protection, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is my knockdown booth. Normally it sits on a sheet of plastic over the concrete shop floor, and another sheet gets draped over the top. I place a box fan and filters in the opening at the bottom.
    Knockdown Booth - 800.jpg
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    This is my knockdown booth. Normally it sits on a sheet of plastic over the concrete shop floor, and another sheet gets draped over the top. I place a box fan and filters in the opening at the bottom.
    Knockdown Booth - 800.jpg
    Something like this makes sense, can you tell me the plastic you're using?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I would find that frustrating unless I had the workpiece also on a turntable/lazy-Susan. Also, while it's a nice option for "containing" overspray for smaller projects. it has no provisions for actually ventilating. I can only imagine something thinking they can use this with spray-can paint, especially since the photo shows no use of personal protection, etc.
    I agree, just a little too short for cabinets.

Rockler has some spray booths that collapse on sale. 3 sizes.
    May or may not be what you would want, but worth looking.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Something like this makes sense, can you tell me the plastic you're using?

I can't remember exactly, but a mid-weight plastic drop cloth is what I probably used when I made the booth.
    Chuck Taylor

Mine looks a lot like a larger version of Charles Taylor's, except made from 1" rigid foil-faced foam-board panels strapped together at the corners with Velcro straps.

Foam board is a real winner -- quick to fabricate, easy to assemble & store.

It's 4' deep, 8' wide, and 7' high (4 panels for sides and back, one panel for the top, and a drop cloth for the bottom). It's 7' high so it clears the garage door. I put a large filter in the garage window for fresh air and exhaust through a 2' round duct in the back and onto the driveway.

It goes together fast with the Velcro, and collapses into a 4'x8'x5" stack against the wall (or ceiling).

Most of the effort was for the exhaust fan.
    -- disassembling a 2' belt drive "whole-house" fan, reassembling it on a shaft between vanes inside a DIY round duct (wide aluminum flashing held inside 2' round holes in several plywood squares), motor outside with the belt through a slot in the suction side of the duct. It's clamped through a 2' hole in the foam board to a larger filter box on the inside of the booth with two layers of filters.

Pictures are worth a lot, but it's late tonight and I'll be gone for next two days for my sister-in-law's eye surgery.

I got a free used dome tent at a yard sale, with no poles. I hung it under a tree and used it for sandblasting big stuff. I did not actually go inside when blasting. Just reached through the door with the gun. It allowed me to recycle the sand and keep the dust a little contained.
    Bil lD

I made a portable spray booth before, see photos below, each panel is 4ft wide. x 6ft high whole thing is roughly 12ft wide x 8ft deep. I sprayed with it once and decided it was too difficult. I then built a permanent booth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought a relatively inexpensive pop-up tent from Walmart about 12 x 12. And then wrapped it with plastic hung from the sides. I cut a hole in the plastic and taped in a 20 x 20 filter and braced and some two by fours to support a 20 inch box fan for an exhaust fan. I also taped in a filter over the box fan. This turned out to work much better than I expected and I was able to achieve a perfectly smooth table top that was almost 8 feet long. I think I have less than $100 invested in it. It’s all stored in the zippered bag ready for the next time I need it. Well, except for the two by fours and fan.

Dan