Thread: convert DC from two 4 inch inlets to one 6 inch inlet?

convert DC from two 4 inch inlets to one 6 inch inlet?

I have the kind of dust collector with a canvas bag, I believe a 3 HP motor (on 240v), and 2 4 inch inlets. i am sure it is manufactured in Taiwan or China. You know the one. The name plate fell off but I think it was branded "penn state industries".

Anyway, I have one of the 4 inch inlets blocked off and use a single hose from the other and just disconnect and reconnect to my various machines. For the most part this works fine, but I am wanting to get better dust collection on my table saw and router table.

Would it be advantageous to remove the two 4 inch inlets and replace them with a 6 inch inlet? Or should I look at other modifications like using a canister instead of the canvas bag? I know that canvas bags are less than ideal for a lot of reasons, but I am not sure if one of them is actually air flow volume.

I say do both, upgrade to Wynn canister and to 6"! Though your tools that have <6" inlet ports probably wont see any gain in suction.

After the increase to 6 inch, will you still be swapping tools to the duct collector or will you set up rigid ducting and drops to each tool?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I say do both, upgrade to Wynn canister and to 6"! Though your tools that have <6" inlet ports probably wont see any gain in suction.

After the increase to 6 inch, will you still be swapping tools to the duct collector or will you set up rigid ducting and drops to each tool?
    The only tool that I really want to make work better is the table saw. There's another thread in the other forum about that. My only other stationary tools are my band saw and my jointer/planer and I have no complaints about duct collection performance of those. I would still swap hoses. I don't have the ceiling height to add ducting. I would just use a reducer to get back down to a 4 inch hose on anything other than the table saw and possibly router table.

Blog Entries
    You can move up to a 5 or 6" pipe. I wanted 1 run breaking into 4" runs and it works fine. You can keep two 4" runs open, but not 3 on my jet .....

If you are going to connect a hose from the DC to the tool you will not gain very much bu going to 6". Just keep the hose as short as possible.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

It depends on hour much flex hose you would replace with solid pipe. Flex hose has something like 4X the resistance of straight walled pipe. Larger straight walled pipe would further magnify the difference. But if all you change is a few feet close to the DC, it may not be worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    It depends on hour much flex hose you would replace with solid pipe. Flex hose has something like 4X the resistance of straight walled pipe. Larger straight walled pipe would further magnify the difference. But if all you change is a few feet close to the DC, it may not be worth the effort.
    No solid pipe. My 4 inch hose is ten feet and it reaches all my machines without moving the DC. This is a small basement shop--the kind where I have to move the slider on the table saw if I want to use the j/p, and I have to roll the mortiser out of the way if I want to joint something longer than 4 feet.