Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imported firewood?

I wonder if you could buy the firewood and repurpose it for turning tool handles and such?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Do you have a Geiger counter?
    You think it's imported from Chernoble? Assuming Three Mile Island would be domestic.......
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You think it's imported from Chernoble? Assuming Three Mile Island would be domestic.......
    You have to look at the wind patterns at the time, and where that timber would be now, and why they'd want it desperately gone. :^) TMI didn't have such a problem.

I like paper birch firewood. It has a nice smell to it. It burns well too. I don't see it too often now; I think the crafters are getting it before it ends up as firewood. Ash is getting more common around here due to emerald ash bore. Never heard of Estonian birch firewood before.

Blog Entries
    It looks pretty sitting in your firebox waiting for next season.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I wonder if you could buy the firewood and repurpose it for turning tool handles and such?
    Absolutely!
    I've made some really nice ash and cherry mallets from time to time. I started on a set of replacement handles for the cocobolo handles in my LN chisels, but never quite finished. I also made the handle for my vise from the wood pile.
    Sadly enough, some of the nicest figured woods I have run across, comes in 22" lengths,cut, split, and delivered.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

[QUOTE=Perry Hilbert Jr;2982306 I am certainly unaware of anything that makes it special, other than it was cut, split, kiln dried, packaged and transported across an ocean from one continent to another.[/QUOTE]
    At least one could HOPE it was kiln dried. You never know what bugs live in it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Absolutely!
    I've made some really nice ash and cherry mallets from time to time. I started on a set of replacement handles for the cocobolo handles in my LN chisels, but never quite finished. I also made the handle for my vise from the wood pile.
    Sadly enough, some of the nicest figured woods I have run across, comes in 22" lengths,cut, split, and delivered.
    The mill ends from a local supplier usually average in the 12" range. Works great in a wood stove.

A lot of my chisel handles and other projects get made out of firewood.

This is a piece of alder saved from the last load:

Firewood Chatoyance.jpg

This was rough cut before it was planed. The pattern in the rough just kind of jumped out at me.

It is thick enough to re-saw to make a small box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I used to chop up the Felder pallets for firewood. Burn pretty clean and decently hot. White Birch, I believe.

erik
    I use it in our customer seminars, the customers get to make something out of it.........Rod.

How can it possibly be cheaper to import firewood from Latvia when we have plenty of wood right here in the USA? Is it really that labor intensive to process firewood that they can do it cheap enough overseas to overcome the cost of shipping firewood half way across the world?

When I lived in NH I logged my own fire wood for 20 years off my own land, cut the trees down hauled the logs out of the woods with an old cat D4, cut, split and pile about 7 cord each year. Rock Maple or Sugar maple, beech, elm, ash and white Birch or paper birch as some call it. It has an awesome smell when burned but not the best for heating. Some Oak the small stuff was cut up for fire wood but most I cut to length and sold to the local sawmill, good money in oak LOL . But even in NH were local firewood is plentiful you would see the stores selling those bundles that were shipped in. Lots of people in NH sell bundles of wood to the tourist that come there for camping. My son in-law sells a good size bundle for 3 bucks.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    When I lived in NH I logged my own fire wood for 20 years off my own land, cut the trees down hauled the logs out of the woods with an old cat D4, cut, split and pile about 7 cord each year. Rock Maple or Sugar maple, beech, elm, ash and white Birch or paper birch as some call it. It has an awesome smell when burned but not the best for heating. Some Oak the small stuff was cut up for fire wood but most I cut to length and sold to the local sawmill, good money in oak LOL . But even in NH were local firewood is plentiful you would see the stores selling those bundles that were shipped in. Lots of people in NH sell bundles of wood to the tourist that come there for camping. My son in-law sells a good size bundle for 3 bucks.
    Was the firewood that was shipped in made overseas?

I live about 20 miles down river from TMI. there is a lot of crap recently about clusters of cancer among folks who lived around the plant then. Some say the statistics show no relationship to the power plant incident, others say it does and the gov't of course is covering it up. There is a little village a mile down the road from us and of the five houses, and families there over the last 40 years, there have been 7 childhood cancer cases in those five houses. Their wells are all within 200 ft of each other.

As for the firewood. I purchased a bundle to turn. I have turned one piece so far. Turned it to 1.25 inch round for making a handle. Turned nice, almost as easy as yellow poplar. Certainly much lighter in color and not as dusty as the yellow poplar.

I noticed these bundles of firewood for sale at the grocery store here in heavily forested Northern Catskills. WTF?