Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedy 300 vs Speedy 360

Question Speedy 300 vs Speedy 360

Hi guys,

So to update my previous thread with a bit of info.
    I just recieved my quote from the rep, but he sent me 2.

1st:

Speedy 300
    80 Watt
    Honeycomb table
    2.0" and 2.5" lenses
    Delivery, setup etc

Price: $45.000
    2nd:

Speedy 360 (demo model)
    80 watt
    Standard table
    2.0" lens
    Delivery + setup etc

Price: $38.000
    This is of course EU prices, so some kind of difference should be expected, just didnt expect that much of a difference. :O
    Havent gotten around telling him, that im a member of this site yet. Would that do a bit of magic with the prices?

Also there is a trade show coming up later this month, where Trotec is represented. Would it hurt, that i told him, that i would attend it to check out the competition and the current booth from Trotec?

Last but not least. I know the 360 has bigger table size, but the size and that its not able to get into the place where i want it, makes it a bit of a hard choice. :O Also the rep forgot about the exhaust system, that I also wanted a price for.

Any ideas and advice?

The price for the 300 looks like full retail and I'm sure you could do better. My Speedy 400 was less than what you are quoted for the 360, just for reference. Do you need to filter the exhaust and recirculate it inside your building or can you simply send it outside? If you can send it outside then an inexpensive woodworking dust extractor would be more than adequate and a very small fraction of a filter, especially a filter from Trotec. Theirs is fantastic, but any of them are expensive to buy and even more expensive to replace filters that get clogged quickly when cutting.

I would tell him that you are going to the show to evaluate all of the manufacturers and won't decide until after that. It's possible that he could offer you whatever they will offer at the show but I would probably wait until the show because you never know how hungry they are at the show - they have to make enough sales to justify the expense of having a booth and you might be able to get a better deal. You might get a price reduction or get them to include some accessories for no additional cost. When I bought mine they had a special where you paid the 60 watt price but they gave you an 80 watt machine. My guess is that they had an abundance of 80's and wanted to get rid of them - that's a win/win for sure! Don't be in a hurry to spend your money but when you get the deal you feel is the best then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Soren Christensen View Post
    Hi guys,

So to update my previous thread with a bit of info.
    I just recieved my quote from the rep, but he sent me 2.

1st:

2nd:

This is of course EU prices, so some kind of difference should be expected, just didnt expect that much of a difference. :O
    Havent gotten around telling him, that im a member of this site yet. Would that do a bit of magic with the prices?

Also there is a trade show coming up later this month, where Trotec is represented. Would it hurt, that i told him, that i would attend it to check out the competition and the current booth from Trotec?

Last but not least. I know the 360 has bigger table size, but the size and that its not able to get into the place where i want it, makes it a bit of a hard choice. :O Also the rep forgot about the exhaust system, that I also wanted a price for.

Any ideas and advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    The price for the 300 looks like full retail and I'm sure you could do better. My Speedy 400 was less than what you are quoted for the 360, just for reference. Do you need to filter the exhaust and recirculate it inside your building or can you simply send it outside? If you can send it outside then an inexpensive woodworking dust extractor would be more than adequate and a very small fraction of a filter, especially a filter from Trotec. Theirs is fantastic, but any of them are expensive to buy and even more expensive to replace filters that get clogged quickly when cutting.

I would tell him that you are going to the show to evaluate all of the manufacturers and won't decide until after that. It's possible that he could offer you whatever they will offer at the show but I would probably wait until the show because you never know how hungry they are at the show - they have to make enough sales to justify the expense of having a booth and you might be able to get a better deal. You might get a price reduction or get them to include some accessories for no additional cost. When I bought mine they had a special where you paid the 60 watt price but they gave you an 80 watt machine. My guess is that they had an abundance of 80's and wanted to get rid of them - that's a win/win for sure! Don't be in a hurry to spend your money but when you get the deal you feel is the best then go for it!
    It does actually look like full retail. That price i quoted was even with the 5% discount he gave me
    So I replied, that I would be going to the trade show and see what Trotec and other companies would have on their booth.

I do need a exhaust system, because I dont have the luxury of being able to vent outside. So i would need an Atmos system for the Trotec, even though I know they are pretty steap in prices and maintenance.

The only real difference (not sure) I see from the 300 to the 360, is bigger table size, heavier, not able to seperate from trolley base (to accomodate getting through doors). Maybe Im missing something?

I'm afraid I'm not much help with filtering for inside exhaust. About all I know of them is what I have read and been told by people I know that are in similar circumstances as you are. They are very expensive to replace filters and will likely never get the hours of usage per filter that the manufacturers suggest you might get. Personally, I would do whatever it took to exhaust outside, even it if meant filtering to a lesser degree just to avoid bothering your neighbors but not to the degree that you would need to do if you were breathing the exhaust indoors.

I don't know all of the differences offhand, but after glancing over the specs it seems that size is the biggest difference, X, Y, and Z are smaller on the 300 vs 360. Not sure if speed is a factor as well, but it could be that the 300 is slower. If the smaller machine will allow you to do all that you want then there is no reason to have the larger one, but I have honestly never heard anyone wishing for a smaller laser. If you need the larger table then widen a door if needed! I had to remove a door frame to get my 400 in my first office and two door frames in my current office.

It does actually look like full retail. That price i quoted was even with the 5% discount he gave me
    So I replied, that I would be going to the trade show and see what Trotec and other companies would have on their booth.

I do need a exhaust system, because I dont have the luxury of being able to vent outside. So i would need an Atmos system for the Trotec, even though I know they are pretty steap in prices and maintenance.

The only real difference (not sure) I see from the 300 to the 360, is bigger table size, heavier, not able to seperate from trolley base (to accomodate getting through doors). Maybe Im missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not much help with filtering for inside exhaust. About all I know of them is what I have read and been told by people I know that are in similar circumstances as you are. They are very expensive to replace filters and will likely never get the hours of usage per filter that the manufacturers suggest you might get. Personally, I would do whatever it took to exhaust outside, even it if meant filtering to a lesser degree just to avoid bothering your neighbors but not to the degree that you would need to do if you were breathing the exhaust indoors.

I don't know all of the differences offhand, but after glancing over the specs it seems that size is the biggest difference, X, Y, and Z are smaller on the 300 vs 360. Not sure if speed is a factor as well, but it could be that the 300 is slower. If the smaller machine will allow you to do all that you want then there is no reason to have the larger one, but I have honestly never heard anyone wishing for a smaller laser. If you need the larger table then widen a door if needed! I had to remove a door frame to get my 400 in my first office and two door frames in my current office.
    Well in my previous mail to the rep, I asked for a quote or both with an Atmos Mono (before I realised that the Atmos Cube is even smaller).

The issue with size, is thats an office building and am not able to take off the doorframes

But for starters the table size on the 300 is more than enough. And if the business takes off, then I can always get another one.

The 360 comes with the trolley assembled and attached. I'm not sure it's removeable. The 360 also has more range of depth. Assembling the trolley is easy but mounting to the 300 is a job for 3 men and a boy. Your rep has quoted that so you don't have to worry about it.

In the U.S. they always have show specials and it's more than 5% so I would be on the lookout for that.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    The 360 comes with the trolley assembled and attached. I'm not sure it's removeable. The 360 also has more range of depth. Assembling the trolley is easy but mounting to the 300 is a job for 3 men and a boy. Your rep has quoted that so you don't have to worry about it.

In the U.S. they always have show specials and it's more than 5% so I would be on the lookout for that.
    Yeah, and that's what's gonna be a pain to get through the door

I was thinking the exact same thing. So hoping the rep will think about that and give me a better price

Otherwise there is always the German reps And there is alot of them

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post

So the rep emailed me back and i concluded the following:

1: He never heard about a SMC discount.
    2: He made an offer for both a new Atmos Mono and the Atmos Cube. Along with the 360, they would be able to provide the Atmos mono, that has been connected to the Speedy 360 (the demo version) for a discounted price.
    3: He didnt even flinch at the prospect of me taking a trip to the trade show in Germany.

Im leaning towards the 360, even though I would be able to get a better price, if I went to the trade show.
    My only issue is that, I really wanna start up asap and if I go to the trade show, I have no idea when I will be able to start up.

But I have to stand firm and see if he puckles and then I will have to attend the trade show and see if I can get a better price. than the ones that he has provided.

If you do get the demo filter make sure that they supply new filter media.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you do get the demo filter make sure that they supply new filter media.
    Yeah, wouldnt wanna get used filters, as you dont really know when they "die"

I believe the SMC discount is through a specific contact at the USA office. Pretty sure Keith set that up. I could be remembering incorrectly though...

So the rep emailed me back and i concluded the following:

1: He never heard about a SMC discount.
    2: He made an offer for both a new Atmos Mono and the Atmos Cube. Along with the 360, they would be able to provide the Atmos mono, that has been connected to the Speedy 360 (the demo version) for a discounted price.
    3: He didnt even flinch at the prospect of me taking a trip to the trade show in Germany.

Im leaning towards the 360, even though I would be able to get a better price, if I went to the trade show.
    My only issue is that, I really wanna start up asap and if I go to the trade show, I have no idea when I will be able to start up.

But I have to stand firm and see if he puckles and then I will have to attend the trade show and see if I can get a better price. than the ones that he has provided.

Kris Tennyson (phone 734-395-4230) is the last Trotec Representative I was told to tell people to contact concerning pricing for SawMill Creek Members. To my knowledge Kris has never been active here and I can't remember anyone who let me know that he was helpful. In the past Amie McGee was our first contact, she successfully coordinated a long list of Trotec sales here. Amie was promoted to VP of Operations a long time ago so we lost the best contact we have ever had. I still communicate with Amie on occasion, the next time I call her I will ask if she can intervene on our behalf to re-establish the special pricing we enjoyed in the past.

I expect its still true that every Trotec owner here will tell you that they are absolutely satisfied with their laser engravers. Trotec manufacturers a great machine at a reasonable price point and has excellent tech support. Trotec sells professional grade machines, even the smaller Trotec machines that are available at a lower price point are professional level machines.

13. Soren make sure you do NOT buy a Atmos filter system, they churn through money faster than you can make it. The problem with the Atmos (and Bofa among a long of "brand" name filter systems) filters are they combo the carbon/hepa filter into one expensive as all ends filter. I think Trotec's are like $400-600 USD per combo?

Carbon can easily go 5-6 months per replacement and is dirt cheap where as hepa filters are more expensive.

We bought a CSA-600 from Quatro Air and it's still working a charm, the replacement filters are WAY cheaper even with freight to New Zealand from Canada. The cost of each hepa filter is only about $25 USD before freight and we source the carbon locally to avoid shipping costs.

I'd at least suggest looking locally for any manufacturer where you could get a local system and local filters as you'll save heaps and heaps of money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert . Payne View Post
    Soren make sure you do NOT buy a Atmos filter system, they churn through money faster than you can make it. The problem with the Atmos (and Bofa among a long of "brand" name filter systems) filters are they combo the carbon/hepa filter into one expensive as all ends filter. I think Trotec's are like $400-600 USD per combo?

Carbon can easily go 5-6 months per replacement and is dirt cheap where as hepa filters are more expensive.

We bought a CSA-600 from Quatro Air and it's still working a charm, the replacement filters are WAY cheaper even with freight to New Zealand from Canada. The cost of each hepa filter is only about $25 USD before freight and we source the carbon locally to avoid shipping costs.

I'd at least suggest looking locally for any manufacturer where you could get a local system and local filters as you'll save heaps and heaps of money in the long run.
    I have been looking at the atmos/bofa, but currently the laser project has been set on hold due to personal issues

However I have not been able to find the CSA-600 anywhere or any local dealers of Quatro-Air :/

Maybe it is just your countries prices, but both the 300 and 360 seems very high.

I bought a 360 last year at a show in Vegas, new and much lower.